Quantitative Clastics Laboratory
The Quantitative Clastics Laboratory Industrial Associates program at the Bureau of Economic Geology in the University of Texas at Austin Jackson School of Geosciences has for years worked with industry seismic data for educating students through research.
- The research team accepts donations of 2D and 3D seismic data for harvesting of depositional facies and element morphometric data.
- The seismic is examined using techniques that employ conventional seismic sequence framework development, quantitative seismic geomorphologic analysis, various attribute extractions, export and harvesting of morphologic information in ArcGIS and ErMapper, and export of these data into various programs for statistical analyses of temporal and spatial distribution and relationships. Observations are provided back to the donating company.
- Currently 12 hydrocarbon companies provide funds to support student and staff research initiatives. Observations are provided as research results to these companies, but the data is held proprietary unless the company wishes to release it as a training data set.
The research group's level of previous experience with data contracts and full time administrative staff make the process of data donations a simple as they get. Some groups who have donated data include:
- The Trinidad Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries
- The Moroccan Government
- The Barbados Ministry of Environment and Resources
- Vanco Energy, Inc.
If your company has 2D or 3D seismic or well data that might be releasable to the research group, the donations are always appreciated. Contact Dr. Lesli J. Wood for additional information (email@example.com).