K–12 Educational Materials
The following are educational materials suitable for K–12 teachers to explore carbon capture and storage (CCS) through the scientific principles of climate change, greenhouse gases, energy production, and carbon cycles, and requires only a few low-cost, readily-available materials.
CO2 — Too Much of a Good Thing?
PDF instructional manual for concept demonstrations
This module that's designed for teachers uses Styrofoam balls, charcoal briquettes, pipe cleaners and mesh, balloons, jars, marbles, and liquids to demonstrate:
- How CO2 forms during the combustion of hydrocarbon
- How much CO2 we produce during everyday activities
- How CO2 traps heat in the atmosphere
- How CO2 affects health and safety
- How geologic capture and storage of CO2 reduces emissions
Teachers can download and play the following demonstration videos during Demo 4 that includes lighting candles and acquiring dry ice:
Available at the following expert-approved sites: