| Please contact us for details on invitation-only events like our Annual & Mid-Year meethings and Think Day seminars.
- CEE has tentative plans to host a roundtable on Asia gas/LNG markets and hubs in Tokyo, May 2017.
- CEE is planning to host our Mid-Year meeting on June 1, 2017 at the Houston Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank.
| February 2017
- February 2-3 - CEE delivered a fifth short course under the auspices of our US Department of State-Energy Bureau technical assistance grant in Mexico, focused on joint operating and unitization agreements, in Mexico. The short course was hosted by Mexico’s CNH in cooperation with SENER. Other participating institutions were ASEA and Pemex.
| December 2016
- December 20-21 - CEE hosted a representative from Mexico’s CNH for follow up discussions on courses conducted in November and review of US practices .
- December 7 & 8 - The 21st CEE Annual Meeting was one of the best by all accounts, showcasing CEE’s new Electric Power Research Forum with two diverse panels on emerging technologies and the future of competitive electricity markets; providing thought-provoking discussions on “Politics Schmolitics;” exploring challenges faced by the “Gas Bridge;” and more. See the agenda and presentations at our Think Corner.
- November 29 & 30 - 2nd Annual SGA/Bureau of Economic Geology 3 “E’s” Dialogue. Dr. Gülen participated in two panels, one on natural gas fundamentals and another on environmental accountability, reporting results from CEE’s dispatch modeling (using AURORAxmp) of various scenarios on gas prices, renewables, environmental regulations and coal retirements, nuclear retirements, and wider electric power research.
- November 16-17 - CEE delivered a fourth short course under the auspices of our US Department of State-Energy Bureau technical assistance grant in Mexico, focused on unitization agreements, in Mexico.
- November 4 - Mr. Quijano gave a presentation on Mexico's energy reform at the CAPA/SPRE Technical Symposium at the Marathon Oil Tower.
- August 30 - CEE held a Think Day in collaboration with Jonathan Stern and Howard Rogers at OIES on Gas & LNG demand.
- August 19 - Dr. Gülen presented the Marcellus shale resource assessment done with the BEG at the Potential Gas Committee – Petroleum Technology Transfer Council joint workshop.
- August 16 - Dr. Gülen presented on the oil price cycle and implicaions for the power sector at thePetroleum Engineers Club in Dallas, Texas.
- August 2 - Dr. Gülen presented on Eagle Ford productions sensitivities at the URTec Conference in San Antonio, Texas as part of the BEG’s Shale Study team.
- August 1 - Dr. Michot Foss participated in a panel discussion on energy futures at the URTec Conference in San Antonio.
- June 28 - CEE held its Mid-Year Meeting which focused on Electic Power Markets. Drs. Gulen and Tsai led the meeting themed "Are 'We' Asking too Much of Electricity Markets?" Marc Spitzer, former FERC Commissioner, was the lunch keynote speaker. Please visit our Think Corner to see the agenda for the day.
- June 20-24 - Dr. Foss lectured at the Graduate Research Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) and the Institute for Energy Economics Japan (IEEJ) in Tokyo. Dr Michot Foss and Prof. Hisanori Nei, former nuclear energy regulator and energy specialist, met with senior business and government on oil, gas and power market developments. Dr Michot Foss, Prof. Nei, and colleagues from IEEJ toured the Onagawa Nuclear Station hosted by Tohoku Power Company to observe progress in re-powering the nuclear units. Onagawa survived the 2011 earthquake and tsunami because of higher site elevations and other safety measures in the plant design.
- June 7 - Dr. Gulen delivered the keynote address at the Gas Power 2016 Conference. You may contact us to request the presentation.
- June 6 - Dr. Michot Foss served on a panel on state energy issues for the Republican Lt. Governors Association (RLGA) conference in Austin.
- June 1 - Dr. Foss participated in the CENTRA Technology board of experts meeting in Washington D.C.
- May 31 - CEE hosted a Think Day with Mr. Flower on our LNG supply paper and main findings from our China-India case study
- May 24 - Dr. Michot Foss addressed CEE’s producer benchmarking analysis at the Hart DUG Permian conference in Ft. Worth .
- May 19 - Dr. Gulen presented on the oil price cycle and implicaions for the power sector at the GCPA Houston Luncheon. The presentation is available to GCPA members or via the CEE.
- May 17 & 18 - Dr. Gulen presented two papers on shale economics at the SPE/IAEE Hydrocarbon Economics and Evaluation Symposium in Houston. Papers are available through OnePetro.
- May 9 - Dr. Foss served as a panelist for the SPE Tight Oil/Liquids Rich Gas Workshop in Austin, Texas.
- May 3 & 4 - Dr. Michot Foss conducted the second program in Mexico in part with the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) as CEE implements a cooperative agreement with U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Energy Resources (DOS-ENR) for upstream technical assistance
- April 28 - Dr. Foss attended the Energy Intelligence Group advisory board meeting in Washington D.C.
- April 26 - Dr. Foss presented on natural gas markets to the board of directors, Salt River Project, in Phoenix, Arizona.
- March 24 - Dr. Foss attended the Texas Bankers Association conference in San Antonio, Texas.
- March 10 & 11 - Dr. Michot Foss and Dr. Gülen led a two-day workshop related to the DOS-ENR grant for work in Mexico. It was the first short course in a series of six to take place in Mexico City for policy and regulatory officials on upstream agreements. CEE will be updating and undertaking new research coincident with the DOS-ENR grant to include a new edition of CEE's Guide to Electric Power in Mexico.
- March 8 - Dr. Foss delivered the keynote at the Houston Geological Society Mudrocks Conference.
- February 18 - Dr. Foss attended the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas' Trilateral Conference on U.S., Canada and Mexico Economic and Monetary Policy.
- February 16 - CEE hosted a Think Day on Iran and The Middle East with speakers Luc Boyer, Consulate General of France in Houston, and Sara Vakhshouri, SVB Energy International. For more information, contact the CEE here.
- February 12 - Students from the Jackson School of Geosciences in the Energy and Earth Resources program visited CEE to discuss the state of the industry with Dr. Foss, Dr. Gulen, Dr. Tsai, and Mr. Quijano.
- February 11 - Mr Quijano attended The Baker Institute's event The Rule of Law and Mexico's Energy Reform. This day-long series of panel discussions brought to light several important issues related to global energy markets, investment protection, oversight, and regulatory issues that facing by the Mexican government as this reform continues to unfold.
- January 15 - Dr. Foss spoke at the IAPG Houston Young Professional Chapter kickoff event titled "The way ahead for Oil and Gas Yound Professionals."
- January 11 & 12 - Dr. Gulen was invited to present at the University of Texas Energy Institute (UTEI) energy journalists workshop.
- January 6 - CEE hosted its third Nuclear Energy Roundtable focused on economic and development issues January 6 with keynote speaker Lady Barbara Judge. Visit the Think Corner page on the CEE website to access the agenda and presentations.
- December 9 & 10 - The agenda and presentations from our 20th Annual Meeting have beene posted on the Think Corner. These invitation-only, confidential discussions offer unique insights to participants on key energy sector trends and inform CEE's future research agenda. Inquire how you may get involved in future CEE events.
- December 1-4 - Dr. Michot Foss and Mr. Quijano traveled to Mexico City to kick off work on a two-year grant from the Department of State-Bureau of Energy Resources. The grant is focused on Mexico oil and gas upstream technical support.
- November 18 - Dr. Gulen and Mr. Quijano attended the IPAA Supply and Demand Committee's Meeting at the Four Seasons Hotel in Houston.
- October 23 - CEE hosted a Think Day on Canadian Energy Politics. CEE advisor Bob Skinner joined us to lead a discussion on a range of topics including elections, oil sands, natural gas and others.
- October 21-23 - Deniese Palmer-Huggins spoke at the Annual OSU Midstream Conference in Stillwater, OK.
- October 19 & 20 - Dr. Foss participated in Haddington Venture's advisory board meeting in Newport Beach.
- October 16 - Dr. Foss served as a moderator for a conversation on energy infrastructure security at the Border Energy Forum in San Diego, California.
- October 15 - Dr. Foss traveled to Birmingham, AL to speak at Southern Company's annual fuel price workshop.
- October 13-16 - Mr. Quijano attended the Border Energy Forum in San Diego.
- October 4-9 - Dr. Foss traveled to London to participate in the Oil & Money Conference as well as the Energy Intelligence Group advisory board meeting.
- September 30 - Dr. Gülen will travel to Mobile, AL to lecture on developments in the energy sector at the Fall Conference for Steel Tank Institute and the Steel Plate Fabricators Association. See the STI/SPFA website for more info).
- September 23-25 - Deniese Palmer-Huggins delivered a presentation on Energy at the Ernst & Young Conference in Chicago, Illinois.
- September 21 - The CEE hosted a Think Day on Asian gas & LNG with a focus on India and China. Andy Flower and Bhamy Shenoy joined the discussion to add their expert insights on the subject.
- September 3 - CEE staff attended the Society of Petroleum Resource Economists (SPRE) montly meeting on September 3 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at Rice University's Shell Auditorium. Please see the SPRE LinkedIn page for more information on this event and the group.
- August 24-26, 2015 - The CEE, in conjunction with the McCombs School of Business, hosted managers from CNOOC for a three-day pre-investment descision course. Classes were led by senior CEE staff
- June 9-14 - Mr. Quijano attended the Mexican Petroleum Congress in Guadalajara, Mexico.
- June 1-5 - Dr. Foss presented initial results from CEE’s global gas demand research at the World Gas Conference in Paris.
- May 24 - Dr. Gülen took part in a workshop to present BEG’s shale resource assessment with Dr. Scott W. Tinker and Dr. Svetlana Ikonnikova at the 38th IAEE International Conference in Antalya, Turkey
- May 5 - CEE held its mid-year meeting on May 5th to report out on ongoing research projects covering the energy value chain. Snapshots from some of this research can be found at our Think Corner.
- May 5 – CEE held its mid-year meeting to report out on ongoing research projects covering the energy value chain. Snapshots from some of this research can be found at our Think Corner.
- May 4 – Dr. Foss gave talks at three different events associated with the Offshore Technology Conference.
- April 28 – Dr. Gülen, Ms. Palmer-Huggins and Mr. Quijano presented CEE research at the BEG Industry Day.
- April 28 – Dr. Foss was a panelist at the World Bank Extractive Industries Week.
- April 15-16 – Dr. Foss, along with the director of the Bureau, Dr. Scott Tinker and associated directors and other researchers from the Bureau, participated in the Latin American Forum on Energy & the Environment in Mexico City.
- April 9-10 – Dr. Gülen participated in the 2015 Austin Electricity Conference.
- April 9 – Dr. Foss attended the NAESB Board Meeting.
- March 30 – CEE held an invitation-only Think Day to discuss its ongoing research on natural gas demand in China.
- March 11 – Dr. Foss spoke at the Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research oil market conference in Abu Dhabi.
- March 6-8 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke at the annual Windsor Energy Group consultation at Windsor Castle.
- February 26 – Deniese Palmer-Huggins participated on the Second Annual Impact of Oil and Gas panel on prices.
- February 16 – Dr. Foss discussed oil and gas supply and economics together with Dr. Svetlana Ikonnikova of BEG at the UT Energy Week 2015 at the University of Texas campus in Austin.
- January 9 – Dr. Gülen discussed shale developments with attendees of the monthly meeting of the Turkish chapter of the IAEE in Istanbul.
- June 19-21, 2014- Dr. Foss spoke at the annual joint forum, "The Transformation of the Mexican Energy Sector", held by the Mexican Energy Association, the Mexican Association for Energy Economics/Mexican chapter of the International Association for Energy Economics, the Mexican Association of Natural Gas, and the Mexican chapter of World Energy Council, in Acapulco.
- June 19, 2014- Dr. Gülen presented on the U.S. natural gas market dynamics at the Houston luncheon of Gulf Coast Power Association.
- June 13, 2014- CEE hosted their 2nd Mid-Year Review.
- June 10, 2014- Dr. Foss served as the opening keynote presenter for the Hart Energy/Oil & Gas Investor Energy Capital Conference, Houston. To view her presentation please click here.
- May 21, 2014- Dr. Foss served as a keynote presenter at the annual Flame gas conference in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- May 19, 2014- Dr. Gülen was invited as a keynote speaker at the 2014 Spring Management, Engineering and Operations Conference by RMEL.
- April 28-30, 2014- Dr. Gülen was an invited speaker at a conference organized by the Natural Gas Distributors Association of Chile (AGN) in Santiago, Chile on April 29. In addition, during his visit, Dr. Gülen presented at the Ministry of Energy and various companies from the natural gas industry on U.S. shale gas developments and prospects for LNG exports.
- April 24, 2014- CEE hosted their Think Day Event on Global Gas Demand and Gas Trade flows.
- April 11, 2014- Dr. Gülen presented CEE work at the UT/BEG Industry Day in Austin.
- April 8, 2014-Dr. Foss spoke on prospects for energy reform in Mexico at the Manhattan Institute, New York City.
- April 4, 2014- Dr. Foss addressed the Mexican chapter of the World Energy Council.
- April 2-3, 2014-Dr. Foss spoke at the Gas and Power Conference in Mexico City, MX.
- April 1, 2014- Dr. Foss presented to the Ernst & Young energy partners annual meeting.
- February 25, 2014- Dr. Foss presented at the 4th Norwegian Finance Day event.
- February 18, 2014- Dr. Foss presented at the Clean Fracking Conference in Houston, TX with Dr. Ian Duncan, BEG.
- February 11, 2014- Dr. Foss spoke at the JAPAN UPDATE for the Japan American Society of Dallas/Fort Worth.
- February 4, 2014- Dr. Foss spoke at the North American Prospect Expo conference.
- January 30, 2014 – Dr. Foss delivered the keynote address at the International Upstream Energy Transactions conference organized by The University of Texas School of Law, The Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas (OGERL), and The Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).
- January 7, 2014 – Dr. Gülen was the keynote speaker at the Shale Gas Conference organized by the Steel Exporters Association in Turkey.
- January 3, 2014 – Dr. Gülen presented on shale gas economics to the Turkish Chapter of the International Association for Energy Economics.
- December 26, 2013 – Dr. Gülen discussed shale gas developments, related environmental concerns and natural gas markets in the U.S. and the impacts of increasing gas production in North America on the rest of the global natural gas markets via LNG exports at a special event organized by the Association of Natural Gas Importers and Exporters in Turkey.
- December 4-5, 2013 – CEE held its always insightful Annual Meeting with the theme of "North, South, Texas and the Rest". Meeting agenda and presentations can be found at our Think Corner.
- November 21, 2013 – Dr. Gülen presented to the Annual Joint SIPES / HAPL Lunch Meeting in Houston, Texas, providing an overview of the U.S. natural gas resources and markets.
- November 20, 2013 – Dr. Gülen was invited to discuss natural gas supply and demand dynamics in the US and implications for global LNG trade at Small-Mid Scale LNG Summit in Houston, Texas.
- November 20, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss presented at the Pricewaterhouse Coopers Partners Conference in Vancouver, Canada.
- November 19, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss presented at the El Colegio Seminar on North American energy trade in Mexico City.
- November 12, 2013 – Dr. Gülen was the invited keynote speaker at the Shale Oil & Gas Conference organized by the Flevum Forum in Utrecht, the Netherlands. He also chaired a panel discussion. Topics covered included shale gas development in the US, environmental considerations, and potential for LNG exports from the US.
- November 12, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss was an expert presenter at the Colorado School of Mines, Weimer Chair Symposium. (shown with Bill Fisher, UT and Bob Weimer, CSM).
- November 7, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss chaired the closing natural gas session at the 20th Border Energy Forum in San Antonio, Texas. She is a founding partner for the BEF, which is led by the Texas General Land Office.
- November 6, 2013 – Dr. Gülen discussed North American naturals gas supply and demand dynamics at the Autocar Natural Gas Symposium in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- October 31, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss participated on a panel hosted by Houston World Affairs Council to focus on the second edition of Energy & Security: Strategies for A World in Transition, edited by Jan Kalicki, Senior Fellow, and David Goldwyn, and which includes a commentary chapter on North America by Dr. Foss.
- October 30, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke at the annual Women's Global Leadership Conference in Houston.
- October 29, 2013 – October 30, 2013 – Dr. Gülen presented results from BEG's shale gas resource assessment work at the Energy Modeling Forum meetings in Washington, D.C. for EMF 31 Study.
- October 29, 2013 – "Guide to Electric Power in Mexico, 2nd Edition" can now be found in our "Publications" page.
- October 25, 2013 – CEE held a Think Day to present results from its research on upstream developments.
- October 24, 2013 – Dr. Gülen was invited to present on the resource adequacy debate in ERCOT at the 16th Annual Electric Market Forecasting Conference hosted by EPIS in Tucson, Arizona.
- October 22, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss was the keynote speaker for the Shreveport, Louisiana Wildcatters
- October 7, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke in a session devoted to oil and gas economics at Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, GCAGS, New Orleans.
- September 26, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss presented on North American natural gas markets and trends to the board of directors, Methanol Holdings Company Ltd., Trinidad & Tobago, Point Lisas/Port of Spain.
- September 25, 2013 – CEE held a Think Day to present results from its ongoing research on midstream and downstream developments. The research focuses on the pace of development relative to demand and supply of various liquids and capacity expansion in the petrochemical sector; and the role of MLP structure in these sectors.
- September 24, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss gave the keynote presentation for the Floating LNG conference in Houston.
- September 22, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss presented at the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (RMMLF) annual upstream course in Houston.
- September 16, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss presented at the Haddington Ventures advisory board meeting in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- September 12, 2013 – Dr. Gülen addressed the Americas Mining & Metals Forum organized by Ernst & Young in Chandler, Arizona, providing an overview of the U.S. economy and the role of energy sector developments.
- September 8-11, 2013 – Dr. Gülen presented results from Bureau's shale gas resource assessment work at the AAPG ICE in Cartagena, Colombia.
- August 30-September 3, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss gave a series of presentations on North American natural gas developments to investment funds sponsored by CIMB in Melbourne and Sidney, Australia.
- August 12-14, 2013 – Dr. Gülen was part of the BEG team presenting results from Bureau's shale gas resource assessment work in a special plenary session at the URTEC Conference in Denver.
- August 12, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke on global energy trends for the U.S. Department of Commerce – U.S. Commercial Services representatives in Houston.
- July 30, 2013 – Dr. Gülen presented results from Bureau's shale gas resource assessment work at the 32nd USAEE/IAEE North American Conference in Anchorage (see presentation).
- July 29, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss presented on global oil and gas commercial trends to Senator David Penchyna, president of the energy commission, and commission members, in Houston.
- July 24, 2013 – Dr. Gülen provided the keynote address at the Texas Public Power Association 2013 Annual Meeting in San Antonio (see presentation).
- July 23, 2013 – Dr. Gülen presented results from Bureau's shale gas resource assessment work at The Future of Fuel Supply session of the Gas Committee during the NARUC 2013 Summer Committee Meetings in Denver (see presentation).
- July 18, 2013 – Dr. Gülen discussed LNG technology and markets at the National Association of Royalty Owners Texas 2013 Convention in Austin.
- July 17, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss presented on global oil and gas commercial trends to Dr. Enrique Ochoa, then Sub-secretary, Hydrocarbons, and staff at Mexico's energy ministry (SENER) in Mexico City.
- June 7, 2013 – CEE held a mid-year review. See agenda and presentations in our Think Corner.
- April 29-May 1, 2013 – CEE hosted a group of 24 general managers from the ONGC, participating in a Leadership Development Program developed by the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB). The International Phase of the program was coordinated by CEE and Alberta School of Business.
- April 30, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke and chaired a panel at the International Energy Agency's tight oil workshop in Paris. The workshop was held as part of preparation of the 2013 World Energy Outlook.
- April 25, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss provided the keynote address for the annual spring conference of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, AIPN, at Barton Creek Resort, Austin, TX.
- April 22-24, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss instructed in the UT Petrobras executive energy program hosted by UT's McCombs School of Business-Texas Executive Education.
- April 17, 2013 – Mr. David Ledesma, South-Court and Dr. Michot Foss co-chaired the panel Role of LNG in Growing Global Gas Demand at the LNG 17 conference and exhibition in Houston. Other panel members included Shigeru (Sam) Muraki, CEO of the Energy Solution Division, Tokyo Gas; Maarten Wetselaar, Executive Vice President, Integrated Gas, Shell; Domenico Dispensa President GIGNL and ex COO ENI; Kathleen Eisbrenner, CEO Next Decade; Robin Baker, Managing Director or Stephen Craen, Managing Director Societe Generale; Jason Bennett, Partner, Baker Botts. The LNG 17 event brought together more than 5,000 industry, government, research, and consulting, and other professionals for the major triennial program.
- April 11, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke on natural gas market dynamics for the Wolverine Power Cooperative symposium in Grand Rapids, MI.
- April 4, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss participated on a panel for the Women's Energy Network Biennial Conference in Houston.
- April 3, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss addressed the Exelon Corporation Senior Leadership Council conference in Philadelphia, PA on natural gas market views and presented to graduate students and faculty at Penn State's Energy and Mineral Engineering program on April 2.
- February 21, 2013 – Dr. Gülen participated in a panel on Job Creation During the Life-Cycle of Energy Technologies at the UT Energy Forum
- February 20, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke at the EPRI joint meeting of fossil generation, renewable energy, and environmental advisors, Savannah, GA.
- February 11, 2013 – BEG and UT's Petroleum Geosystems and Engineering program hosted officers from the Electric Power Research Institute for site visits on unconventional oil and gas developments.
- February 8, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss spoke at and participated in a seminar on unconventional oil and gas hosted by Secretaría de Energía (SENER) in Mexico City with U.S. Department of Interior's International Technology Assistance Program and U.S. Department of State's Unconventional Gas Technical Engagement Program (UGTEP).
- February 7, 2013 – Dr. Gülen presented on CEE's power sector modeling results related to impact of new environmental regulations, integrating renewables, resource adequacy debate in Texas and implications for natural gas at the 2013 Gas/Electric Partnership conference in Houston. “Gas-Power Linkages: Many Moving Pieces”, an article based on the conference presentation is available at the Power Magazine site.
- Dr. Gürcan Gülen of the Bureau's Center for Energy Economics has been selected by the 2013 Awards Committee of the U.S. Association for Energy Economics (USAEE) to receive a 2013 USAEE Senior Fellow Award. The award is given to individuals who have exemplified distinguished service in the field of energy economics and the USAEE. Recognition of his unanimous selection by the committee will be conferred at the 32nd USAEE/IAEE North American Conference in Anchorage on July 30, 2013. Founded in 1994, the USAEE is the largest affiliate of the International Association for Energy Economics, which provides a worldwide forum for the exchange of ideas, experience, and issues relating to energy economics among corporate, academic, scientific, and government professionals.
- January 29, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss participated in an EPRINC panel on LNG exports at the Russian Embassy in Washington, DC.
- January 18, 2013 – Dr. Michot Foss provided the opening keynote address for the Australian Chamber of Commerce Energy Day in Houston.
- December 11, 2012 – Dr. Foss presented on the energy policy trends, including oil, gas, and power developments, and CEE's "energy webs" project at the Ernst & Young Energy Summit in Washington, DC.
- December 8, 2012 – Dr. Foss presented on global and US oil and gas outlooks and issues at The Energy Council in New Orleans.
- December 5-6, 2012 – BEG's Center for Energy Economics held its annual meeting in Houston. Highlights included an overview and discussion on BEG's Sloan Foundation supported shale gas review with Eric Potter and Scott Tinker; robust presentations and exchanges on midstream and downstream natural gas developments and electric power issues in Texas and nationwide; a review of the President's Blue Ribbon Commission on nuclear energy by former DOE Assistant Secretary and new CEE advisory board member Vicky Bailey; a wide-ranging dialogue on global oil markets and geopolitics with CEE advisory board member Luis Giusti (former CEO of PdVSA and member of Shell's board of directors); and presentations by CEE researchers Michelle Michot Foss, Gürcan Gülen, and Miranda Wainberg including work by new CEE researcher Mike Soni and guest researchers Joey Whempner and Matt Shapiro. The Houston launch of the new Oxford Institute for Energy Studies book, The Pricing of Internationally Traded Gas (with a chapter on North America by Michelle Foss) also took place at the event. HM Consul General Andrew Millar kicked off the book launch. Information on and presentations from the CEE annual meeting will be available on CEE's web page in January 2013.
- November 14, 2012 – Dr. Foss participated in two panels, US post-election energy policy and North American natural gas developments, at the Oil and Money Conference in London.
- November 9, 2012 – Dr Gulen presented on factors impacting the oil price at the Baker Institute Energy Forum symposium in Houston.
- November 5-7, 2012 – Dr Gulen presented on the Barnett well and field economics at the 31st USAEE/IAEE North American Conference in a special workshop on unconventional gas & oil along with his team members from BEG, which has been conducting an interdisciplinary analysis of major shale plays in the U.S. funded by the Sloan Foundation.
- October 31, 2012 – Dr. Foss presented on oil and gas trends at the American Association of Petroleum Geologists Foundation, AAPG, meeting.
- October 30, 2012 – Dr. Gulen presented on developments in the natural gas industry and infrastructure needs to Enerfab annual meeting in Cincinnati.
- October 22-23, 2012 – Dr. Foss presented on natural gas markets and outlooks at the Exelon Energy Board of Directors Conference on October 22 in Chicago, IL and at the Haddington Ventures Board Meeting on October 23 in Tucson, AZ.
- October 4, 2012 – Dr. Gulen lectured on energy value chain economics to a group of Assistant Energy Experts from Energy Markets Regulatory Authority of Turkey in Austin.
- September 13, 2012 - Dr. Gülen presented on gas-power linkages and environmental considerations at the Gulf Coast Environmental Affairs Group meeting in Houston.
- September 12, 2012 - Dr. Gülen presented on energy sector developments and implications for the steel industry at the Steel Tank Institute Fall Conference in Houston.
- September 7, 2012 - Dr. Foss participated in an industry/government roundtable discussion on natural gas for UK Trade & Investment organized by the British Consulate in Houston.
- August 30, 2012 - Dr. Foss served as the energy expert for the 9th ParlAmericas Assembly in Panama City.
- August 8, 2012 - Dr. Gülen presented on Barnett production outlook resulting from an interdisciplinary Bureau project at the 34th International Geological Congress in Brisbane, Australia.
- August 6, 2012 - Dr. Foss presented on natural gas market developments at the EPRI Summer Conference, “Innovations for Future Generations” in San Francisco.
- July 17, 2012 - Dr. Foss presented on U.S. oil and gas trends and developments at the Marcus Evans Petrochemical & Refining Summit in San Antonio.
- July 9-10, 2012 - On behalf of the U.S. Department of State and Secretaría de Energía-Mexico (SENER) CEE hosted two days of discussions on cross-border natural gas pipeline developments and upstream unconventional opportunities in Mexico.
- June 30, 2012 - CEE releases two new research reports; they can be downloaded from our Think Corner.
- June 21, 2012 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen participated in the North American Energy Standards Board (NAESB) meeting in Houston and presented results from the CEE's gas-power linkages research area.
- May 29, 2012 - Dr. Gülen participated in the Energy Infrastructure Roundtable organized by the French-American Foundation.
- May 24, 2012 - CEE held a Think Day on gas-power linkages to share developments on this research area since the 2011 Annual Meeting. See agenda.
- May 23, 2012 - Energy Intelligence and CEE co-hosted the inaugural Energy Roundtable in Houston.
- May 17, 2012 - CEE held a Think Day with Toyota Motor Corporation/North America on evolution of hydrogen fuel cells.
- May 8-10, 2012 - Dr. Foss taught at the Petrobras Executive Education program organized by UT's McCombs School of Business Executive Education.
- May 8, 2012 - Dr. Gülen presented on energy sector infrastructure needs at the Steel Scene 2012 organized by SteelOrbis in Houston.
- April 26, 2012 - Dr. Michot Foss presented at the CWC LNG conference in San Antonio..
- April 17, 2012 - Dr. Michot Foss testified before the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology (Ralph Hall, Chairman), hearing on "Tapping America's Unconventional Oil Resources for Job Creation and Affordable Domestic Energy." See press release. View the hearing. Full testimony can be found at our Think Corner.
- March 26, 2012 - Dr. Gülen presented “Moving Energy to Markets: Regional Electric Power Grids” at the Latin American Forum VII organized by the Jackson School of Geosciences in collaboration with the Energy Institute at UT-Austin, Greater Houston Partnership and Council of the Americas.
- March 22, 2012 - Dr. Michot Foss presented at the Argus North American Gas conference in Houston.
- March 21, 2012 - Dr. Gülen taught a course titled "Energy Economics" to a group of 22 midlevel upstream executives from Sinopec (China), who are preparing to lead company operations around the world. The program is a 21-week-long Sinopec Upstream Executive Education Leadership program developed by UT's McCombs School of Business Executive Education.
- February 15, 2012 - Dr. Gülen presented results from CEE research on U.S. gas-power linkages at the CFA Society of Houston luncheon. The article, on which the presentation was based, can be found at our Think Corner.
- February 3, 2012 - Dr. Michot Foss participated in a KUHT Channel 8, Houston PBS "Houston 8" panel on the Keystone pipeline, watch the program.
- December 8, 2011 - Miranda Ferrell Wainberg participated as an expert discussant in a CENTRA Technology workshop, The Mexican Energy Sector Outlook.
- December 7-8, 2011 - CEE had its annual meeting in Houston. The event was attended by Eric Potter, Associate Director of BEG, Bill Ambrose, STARR project manager at BEG, Jonathan Stern, Howard Rogers and Anouk Honore from the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies and many CEE partners, advisors and research colleagues. We covered a wide range of topics including shale gas geology and economics, European and global natural gas and LNG markets, and gas-power linkages, presenting results of our initial modeling using the AURORAxmp software. Presentations can be found at our Think Corner.
- November 30, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss presented "Upstream, Midstream, and Consumer Impacts of EPA Regulation on Shale Gas" at the Bernstein Research Energy Conference, New York City.
- November 17, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss presented "Economic Impacts of Shale Development" at the Secretaría de Energía Shale Gas Forum, Mexico, DF. [link]
- November 8, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss participated in a panel, "A Global Market for Gas?" at the CWC World Shale Gas Conference & Exhibition, Houston.
- October 27, 2011 - Dr. Gülen presented "Gas-Power Linkages" at the 2011 Electric Market Forecasting Conference, San Antonio, organized by EPIS, Inc, developers of the AURORAxmp software. [presentation]
- October 12, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss spoke at the 2011 Oil & Money conference in London, UK. Her presentation "Energy Tradeoffs" was part of a panel on The Future of Nuclear Power and Renewables: Implications for Oil, Gas and Carbon Controls. [presentation]
- August 15- 17, 2011 - Dr. Gülen taught a course titled "Energy Economics" to a group of 25 midlevel downstream executives from Sinopec (China), who are preparing to lead company operations around the world. The program is a 21-week-long Sinopec Refinery Executive Education Leadership program developed by UT's McCombs School of Business Executive Education.
- July 25-27, 2011- Dr. Michelle Foss taught a course titled "Global Challenges and Future Outlooks" to a group of 25 midlevel downstream executives from Sinopec (China), who are preparing to lead company operations around the world. The program is a 21-week-long Sinopec Refinery Executive Education Leadership program developed by UT's McCombs School of Business Executive Education.
- July 16-29, 2011- Dr Gülen lectured on upstream economics, natural gas and LNG value chains, renewables economics and project finance considerations to Assistant Energy Experts from the Energy Market Regulatory Authority of Turkey. The group is attending a long-term capacity building program hosted by the Institute of Public Utilities at Michigan State University.
- July 20, 2011 – Dr. Foss gave a presentation "Economic and Policy Perspectives on U.S. Reserves and Resources" at the SPE/AAPG/SPEE Reserves and Resources Estimation and Reporting Symposium held in Houston on July 19-21. Presentation was part of the panel on "Policy, Regulatory, and Financial Perspective on Using Reserves and Resource Numbers." [download presentation]
- July 11-14, 2011 - CEE led a training program on oil value chain economics for Uganda energy sector directors and professionals in Kampala, Uganda. Dr. Michot Foss and Dr. Gulen served as facilitators and instructors for the event, which was sponsored by U.S. Department of State-Energy Governance and Capacity Initiative and US Agency for International Development.
- June 29-30, 2011 - Dr. Foss
was invited to join Technical Advisory Group for Natural Resource Charter, led by Paul Collier, Oxford University and chaired by former president of Mexico Dr. Ernesto Zedillo. Dr. Michot Foss attended the Annual Charter Conference. Information on the Charter can be found at http://www.naturalresourcecharter.org/.
- June 28, 2011 - On June 28, Dr. Foss gave a presentation as a member of the American Gas Association LNG 17 panel for Wall Street in New York City. Other panel members were LNG 17 Executive Director Jay Copan; Bob Ineson, IHS-CERA; Geoff Couper, JP Morgan; Curt Launer, Deutsch Bank; and Ronald Barone, UBS. [download presentation]
- June 15, 2011 - Dr. Foss gave a keynote address at SPE Unconventional Gas Conference, The Woodlands. [download presentation]
- May 31 - June 3, 2011 - In Houston, CEE hosted a group of 23 mid-level executives from Sinopec (China). The program is a 21-week long Leadership Executive Education program developed for Sinopec E&P by UT’s McCombs School of Business Executive Education. While in Houston, the group attended presentations by CEE-UT senior staff, and had a field visit day to Houston-based oilfied service companies.
- May 18, 2011 - Dr. Foss presented at the OIES/CEE seminar on international natural gas trade in Oxford as part of CEE-OIES collaboration and forthcoming Oxford book on international natural gas trade and pricing. Dr. Michot Foss is also authoring a new, forthcoming working paper for OIES-Natural Gas Programme, “U.S. Natural Gas at ‘20’ and Henry Hub at 2020: $3 or $10”.
- May 11, 2011 - Dr. Foss presented at the Flame 2011 Conference in Amsterdam. [download presentation] and [watch interview with Dr. Foss]
- April 26, 2011 – Dr. Gulen presented on uncertainties associated with predicting the price of natural gas at an event of Professional Risk Managers’ International Association. Forecasting energy prices is difficult; past forecasts by various entities have been consistently wrong. It is more important to understand the fundamentals on both the demand and supply sides to develop likely scenarios. For natural gas, there are drivers that can increase the cost of supply (upstream economics of shale is not uniform, liquids infrastructure is constrained, potential regulations on fracturing, water recycling and methane emissions); demand has been increasing and a variety of emissions regulations may induce further increases. We have seen these conditions in previous boom-bust cycles.
- April 13, 2011 – Dr. Gülen presented on the critical role of natural gas in the U.S. energy portfolio at the 25th Annual Spring Conference & Exhibition of the Gulf Coast Power Association. Natural gas continues to increase its share in power generation; the low price environment is also helping some industrial demand to come back as well. There are many unknowns related to new environmental regulations on mercury, ash and other pollutants that may force many coal plants to retire. Environmental regulations regarding hydraulic fracturing and waste water treatment may impact shale production. How will these unfold will impact demand and supply conditions and hence the price of natural gas.
- April 12, 2011 – Dr. Gülen presented on developments in the global LNG scene at the AAPG 2011 Annual Convention & Exhibition. CEE-UT has been following the LNG market since the early 2000s as part of its LNG program area (see CEE LNG Consortium page). The excess supply of LNG cargoes in the Atlantic Basin renders significant exports from the U.S. unlikely; shale gas producers cannot count on LNG exports to help with the low price environment in the short term. [download presentation]
- April 12, 2011 - Dr. Gülen presented on the economics of carbon capture and sequestration at the AAPG 2011 Annual Convention & Exhibition. The Gulf Coast Carbon Center, housed at BEG, is one of the largest research programs focusing on CCS. Dr. Gulen has been involved in several papers jointly with other BEG and UT researchers evaluating CO2-EOR value chain economics. This presentation included some of the early results from this research. [download presentation]
- March 24, 2011 - Dr. Gülen gave a presentation "Energy Poverty and Economics of Energy Technologies" at Baylor University Energy Forum. [download presentation] [watch Dr.Gulen's presentation]
- March 17, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss gave a testimony at the Committee on Natural Resources oversight hearing on “Harnessing American Resources to Create Jobs and Address Rising Gasoline Prices: Domestic Resources and Economic Impacts.” [download]
- February 11, 2011 - CEE held a Roundtable on Nuclear Energy II.
- January 25, 2011 - Miranda Wainberg participated in the panel "The Changing Face of National Oil Companies: Trends and Issues Unique to this Segment of the Energy Sector" at the AIPN and The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law2011 International Upstream Energy Transactions Conference.
- December 10, 2010 - Dr. Gülen gave a presentation on Energy Efficiency, Conservation and Consumer Behavior at the Austin Energy Green Building seminar.
- December 2, 2010 - Dr. Gülen gave a webinar "Lessons Learned from State RPS Programs" for Institute for Public Utilities, Michigan State University. [download presentation]
- Nov 30-December 1, 2010 - CEE held its Annual Meeting and Natural Gas Forum with Oxford Institute for Energy Studies. The Forum featured a screening of "Haynesville" movie with Director Gregory Kallenberg.
- November 16-18, 2010 - CEE held "Economics of Natural Gas Value Chain" course.
- November 17, 2010 - CEE held a Think Day on LNG with Howard Rodgers, OIES.
- October 14, 2010 - CEE held a Think Day on commodity markets issues.
- September 27-October 1, 2010 - CEE took part in the Energy Week, Mexico, organized by CEE's Partner in HED partnership ITAM.
- August 23-27, 2010 - CEE held a training program "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation" in Mexico City for the staff of SENER, CNH, CRE and PEMEX.
- July 27, 2010 - CEE partnered with the US Department of Commerce/US Commercial Service for an event featuring a presentation "Exploring Ghana's Economic Landscape" by Mr. Philip Cummings, Chief of the Economic Section, American Embassy in Accra, Ghana. This event was part of CEE's ongoing work in Ghana on oil and gas sector assessment. [more info]
- July 13-15, 2010 -
Dr. Gülen lectured on upstream economics, natural gas and LNG value chains, and renewables portfolio standards to 22 Assistant Energy Experts from the Energy Market Regulatory Authority of Turkey. The group is attending a long-term capacity building program hosted by the Institute of Public Utilities at Michigan State University. CEE-UT's focus on energy economics and IPU's expertise on utility regulation are complementary, enhancing value of such capacity building programs for regulators from around the world.
In 2004, CEE hosted 17 Assistant Energy Experts from EMRA for a 14-week program. [more details].
- May 20, 2010 - Dr. Gülen gave a presentation to a delegation from the American Chamber of Commerce in Brazil (AMCHAM Brazil). The GHP in collaboration with the Brazil-Texas Chamber of Commerce (BRATECC) and the Consulate General of Brazil hosted the group. GHP invited Dr. Gulen to talk to the group about the importance of the energy industry to Houston and Texas economies; and other energy market developments in the region and the U.S. [download presentation]
- May 19, 2010 - CEE has completed its international capacity-building program "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation." This 10th anniversary spring program hosted delegates from Ghana and Mexico. The program is followed by field visits organized for the Ghanaian delegation to Louisiana
- March 17, 2010 - Dmitry Volkov gave a lecture (via internet) on "Global Dynamics of Natural Gas" to the University of Bodo students. The "Geopolitics of Petroleum and Natural Gas" course is part of the Master of Science in Energy Management program at the University of Bodo (Norway).
- March 13, 2010 - Dr. Gulen taught a class for the McComb's School of Business' students. The class titled "Economics and technology of the Crude Oil, Natural Gas & LNG Value Chains" is part of McComb's Texas MBA Houston program.
- March 5-7, 2010 - As part of the ongoing collaboration between CEE-UT and Oxford Institute for Energy Studies (OIES), Dr. Foss gave a presentation on global natural gas developments and issues at the OIES seminar on US natural gas. Dr. Foss also presented on US natural gas issues and participated in the Windsor Energy Group Annual 2010 Consultation at Windsor Castle. [download slides]
- January 26-27, 2010 - January 26-27, 2010 - CEE, jointly with Terra Group, held an invitation only forum "NEW CHALLENGES IN SITING TRANSMISSION LINES" in Washington, DC. The event was attended by over 75 federal and state policymakers and regulators; congressional energy and environment staff; independent system operators; transmission owners and developers; major environmental groups and other stakeholders.
- December 9-10 - CEE held a Natural Gas Forum and Annual Meeting.
- September 28, 2009- Dr. Michot Foss gave a presentation "Natural Gas Market, Technology Views" at a workshop for Congressional Staff in Washington, D.C. The workshop was hosted by the Energy Policy Research Foundation, Inc (EPRINC) jointly with CEE and The Brookings Institution. Workshop topics covered the role of domestic oil and natural gas production in addressing U.S. energy security, meeting U.S. energy demand, and tackling the challenge of global climate change.
Download workshop agenda
- September 22, 2009- Dr. Michot Foss gave a presentation at the Federal Climate Change Legislation Summit, held in Austin.
July 2009 - HED published an impact assessment from of 15 higher education partnerships "Lessons Learned from Reviews of HIgher Education Partnerships in South Asia." The review included CEE's "Partnership to Strengthen Local Capacity for Economic, Financial, and Social Analysis of Energy Sector Initiatives" with the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Department of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Engineering (BUET/PMRE).
Read Partnership Description
Read Partnership Success Story
- July 27-28 - CEE welcomed a delegation from Ghana led by The Honorable Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, Deputy Minister of Energy and Member of Parliament. The delegation visited Houston as part of a 12-day Oil and Gas Development Orientation Visit organized by the USTDA. CEE has been working in Ghana, and the greater West Africa region, under USAID since 2004. CEE role is evolving as Ghana becomes an oil & gas producer and, most likely, exporter. CEE hosted the delegation for a reception on July 27, followed by presentations on July 28.
- July 27 - Dr. Foss has been selected to the Committee on Earth Resources, Board on Earth Sciences and Resources, National Academy of Sciences. Dr. Foss will serve on the Committee until December 31, 2011.
- July 23 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "The Future of Energy and the Economy: Fact and Fiction" at 55th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute in San Francisco.
- July 9 - CEE researchers were chosen to write the 2009-2010 research paper for the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN). Svetlana Ikonnikova, Dmitry Volkov and Miranda Ferrell Wainberg will lead LNG Supply Contracts and Trade Patterns: An Analysis of Negotiation and Investment Strategies in the World LNG Market.
- May 11-19 - CEE held the 9th annual spring executive program "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation." Delegates came from Chile, Kenya, Kuwait, Mexico, and Nigeria. The program also welcomed students from the Jackson School of Geosciences' EER program.
- April 30 - Dmitry Volkov gave a presentation at the AIPN Spring Conference in New Orleans. He was part of a panel discussion on "Transactional Trends." The title of his presentation was "National Oil Companies and Value Creation: Implications for NOC Commercial Activity."
- April 29 - Dmitry Volkov presented at AIChE 2009 Spring National Meeting as part of the 9th Topical Conference on Gas Utilization in Tampa, Florida. His presentation was on LNG safety and security issues.
- April 27 -- Ruzanna Makaryan gave a presentation at AIChE 2009 Spring National Meeting in Tampa, Florida. Her presentation "Defining Community Benefits from Large-Scale Infrastructure Projects: LNG Case Study" was part of the 9th Topical Conference on Gas Utilization.
April 20 - May 1 - Dr. Gülen traveled to Nigeria and Ghana for Smart Development partnership activities. During the trip, he presented on CEE's USAID activities in West Africa along with partners Ishmael Edjekumhene of KITE and Prof. Adeola Adenikinju of the University of Ibadan at the 2nd Annual NAEE/IAEE International Conference "Energy Industry Restructuring - Interactions between Business, Economics, and Policy," held on April 23-24 in Abuja, Nigeria. In Accra, he presented at the KITE's first workshop on Oil & Gas Sector Research & Advocacy Project under the GRAP grant.
On the picture: Dr. Gulen with Amoakoh Gyasi-Agyei, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA).
- March 31 - Dr. Foss presented at a Society of Independent Professional Earth Scientists (SIPES) chapter meeting in Corpus Christi
- March 24 - Dr. Foss was a panelist at "The Fundamental Role and Impact of Technology Panel" during the Greater Houston Partnership Energy Summit held in Houston, Texas.
- March 15 - Dr. Foss presented at the 2009 Spring Conference of the International Energy Credit Association (IECA), held in Dana Point, CA.
- March 10 - Dr. Foss spoke at the Heartland Institute's 2009 International Conference on Climate Change held in New York, NY. Her presentation was titled "Climate Science and Economics: Understanding and Balancing the Debate."
- March 9 - Dr. Foss was a keynote speaker at the LNG Summit of the 15th Annual FLAME - European Gas Conference, held in Amsterdam.
- March 5 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation on National Oil Companies at the World Bank Extractive Industries Week, held in Washington, D.C.
- February 29 - Dr. Foss presented "Science and Economics - Why Skepticism Matters," a presentation on climate economics, to members of the Houston Economics Club.
- January 16 - Dr. Michelle Foss gave a briefing on upstream issues for congressional energy and natural resources staff, hosted by U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources (Washington, D.C.).
- November 14 - Dr. Michot Foss was a moderator of a panel discussion on "The Transformation and Increasing Impact of NOCs in the Global Energy Marketplace" at the Women's Global Leadership Conference held in Houston.
- November 3-14 - CEE hosted a group of 27 professionals from Nigeria for a special two-week session of CEE's executive program "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation." The delegation included senior oil company professionals of various backgrounds (engineers, managers, accountants), who are members of the Petroleum & Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN).
- October 28 - CEE hosted a special luncheon forum with Honorable Iris Evans, Minister of Finance and Enterprise, Province of Alberta, Canada. The event titled "Adding Value in Alberta's Oil Sands: Challenges and Opportunities" was organized jointly with the Canadian Consulates in Dallas and Houston, and sponsored by Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP. Canada's oil sands are a premier frontier resource, playing a growing role in global oil and oil products supply. The Minister addressed the numerous development challenges associated with oil sands commercialization and discussed strategic initiatives being undertaken by the Provincial Government and investor concerns.
- October 20-24 - CEE held its second annual executive program “New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation.” Delegates attending the program represented various organizations from Brazil, Ghana, Indonesia, Kuwait, Nigeria, South Africa and USA. Companies represented included research institutes, regulatory agencies, and private and national oil companies. The program gave the participants a comprehensive understanding of energy business, economic, policy, regulatory and technology trends impacting value creation opportunities.
- October 17 - CEE opened its FY 09 series of Think Day breakfast forums with Mr. Luis Giusti, CEE and CSIS advisor. Mr. Giusti shared his perspectives on Latin America's energy and politics.
- September 16-19 - In Kolkata (India), Dr. Gulen presented on global coal industry trends at the Regional Clean Coal Partnership Program, sponsored by the USAID's South Asia Regional Initiative for Energy program and organized by PA Consulting. The program, which consisted of a two-day workshop and two days of field trips, was attended by about 30 participants from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. India is already the third largest producer of coal in the world. Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan are developing their coal reserves while Sri Lanka is actively seeking coal imports. The program focused on sharing best practices in optimizing the production and use of coal economically while minimizing environmental impacts. Dr. Gulen participated in the program as part of a broader effort in which CEE cooperates with PA Consulting Group, including the publication of Energy Security Quarterly.
- September 8-9 - Workshop on Commercial Frameworks for Energy Investment was held on in Accra, organized jointly by CEE and its partners in West Africa. More than forty delegates attended this a by-invitation only event. This was a follow-up to the workshop held in Abuja on May 1-2, 2008. After updates on key regional projects such as the West African Gas Pipeline and West African Power Pool, two facilitated discussions were held on energy sector governance and roles of institutions for energy infrastructure investment in West Africa, and policy and regulatory frameworks and investment considerations. [more]
- March 27 - CEE-UT held an LNG Forum in Houston to present the results and conclusions of the recently conncluded study on the community benefits associated with LNG regasification infrastructure in the United States. The forum featured presentations by Dr. Foss and Dr. Gurfinkel on the findings of the study, followed by panel discussion with Dr. Gordon Weil (Weil & Howe) and Mr. Ward Pennebaker (Pennebaker).
- March 17 - Dr. Foss gave a keynote presentation for the International Energy Credit Association 2008 Spring Conference in Napa, California. Download presentation slides here.
- March 11 - CEE-UT presented the results and conclusions of the recently concluded study on the community benefits associated with LNG regasification infrastructure in the United States. The presentation was part of a Forum organized jointly with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, D.C. The forum addressed issues in locating LNG infrastructure facilities, focusing on community and economic benefits to disseminate lessons learned for other large energy infrastructure projects. Mr. Frank A. Verrastro (Director and Senior Fellow of CSIS Energy and National Security Program) made welcoming remarks which were followed by presentations by Dr. Foss and Dr. Gurfinkel on the study and its implications for large energy infrastructure development in the United States. The event continued with a panel discussion on key issues and constraints in developing critical energy infrastructure in the United States and abroad, including both security considerations for infrastructure assets and implications for overall energy security and delivery. Panelists also included Mr. Gordon Weil (Weil & Howe), Ms. Linda Stuntz (Stuntz, Davis & Staffier), and David Pumphrey (CSIS). Download presentation slides here .
- February 25-29 - Dr. Gulen and Dr. Gurfinkel led the "Global Energy Markets Trade Programme” in New Delhi , sponsored by the USAID's South Asia Regional Initiative for Energy program and organized by PA Consulting. The seminar attracted more than 30 participants from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. The program covered key issues in the global energy sector as they relate to South Asian economies, based on material from CEE's New Era program, and provided an opportunity to discuss the key elements of the SARI/Energy program: cross-border energy trade, energy market formation, and regional clean energy development as elements that contribute to poverty alleviation efforts and the region's energy security. The seminar is part of a broader effort in which CEE cooperates with PA Consulting Group, including an Energy Security Quarterly.
- February 21 - Dr. Foss presented an "Overview on the Business of LNG" for a training program co-sponsored by ABS Consulting and Petrobras University in Rio de Janeiro.
- February 12 - CEE-UT resumed its periodic Think Day seminars with a special event co-hosted with the British Consulate-General, Houston/UK Science and Innovation on climate economics. This Think Day seminar featured Dmitri Zenghelis, Head of the Stern Team for the Stern Review on Economics of Climate Change.
- February - Article "Africa: A New Frontier in Oil and Gas Exploration" by Dr. Foss was featured in February 2008 issue of Geotimes magazine published by the American Geological Institute.
- February 08, 2008: Mariano Gurfinkel provided a guest comment in the Inter-American Dialogue's Latin America Advisor-Energy issue on Petrobras' success as a National Oil Company.
Issue: Brazil's Petrobras is now one of the top six most highly market capitalized energy firms in the world, joining other national oil companies (NOCs) that are replacing familiar private-sector players, PFC Energy said in a report last month. Will the company's success endure? What do other Latin American NOCs need to do to join the ranks of the world's influential players?
Comment: Brazil 's growing hydrocarbon sector is the direct result of the implementation of commercial frameworks for oil production and the move to partially privatize PETROBRAS. The key to success has been the definition of for-profit activity within the upstream oil sector in Brazil . If in addition, we add commercial objectives for PETROBRAS, a growing and vibrant sector is possible in which PETROBRAS is the principal participant. Our research on national oil companies has shown the importance of adequate commercial frameworks for the functioning of a national hydrocarbon sector and for increased performance of national oil companies. Moreover, we have identified a market premium for partially privatized national oil companies that function within such commercially favorable frameworks; PETROBRAS being a clear example. As long as commercial frameworks are kept in place, Brazil will continue to benefit from a dynamic hydrocarbon sector, and PETROBRAS will enjoy continued success. Though the lessons learned are many, they are not widely implemented. Some countries in our hemisphere have moved forward and set up commercial frameworks that have attracted considerable investment. Like Brazil , now with the commercial frameworks in place, a limited few are in the process of, or are considering, partially privatizing their national oil (or gas) company. Mexico faces both these challenges today. The country could benefit from the implementation of adequate commercial frameworks that would allow for private investment and would define commercial and for-profit objectives for its national oil company. However, political and legal hurdles remain.
- November 29-30 - CEE's Michelle Foss, Mariano Gurfinkel and Gurcan Gulen taught a couse on "Economics & Technology of the Crude Oil, Natural Gas and LNG Value Chains" as part of the Energy Finance Certificate program offered by the McCombs School of Business.
- November 16 - The Energy Forum at Baker Institute for Public Policy (BIPP) and Center for Energy Economics (CEE), BEG/JSG/UT co-hosted a conference on Natural Gas in North America: Markets and Security. The conference was occasion to profile research and activities at BIPP and CEE related to US, North American and global natural gas. Dr. Michot Foss organized and chaired Session II, North American Demand and Competition of Fuels in Gas-Consuming Industries. Also participating were Glenn Sweetman, Director, International, Economic and Greenhouse Gases Division, US Energy Information Administration; Brad Williams, President, Spitfire Advisors & Investments and Principal, Floridian Gas Storage Co., LLC; and Dr. David Burns, Director, Refinery Services, Praxair, Inc. Dr. Michot Foss presented 10 key observations from work completed and underway at CEE on national and international natural gas markets (see slides) stemming from research published by CEE and Oxford University (Oxford Institute for Energy Studies) and CEE's LNG research and public education consortium. Dr. Michot Foss also announced the upcoming release of publications from CEE's year-long study of economic and community benefits and LNG facility siting. Mr. Sweatman commented on demand for natural gas from EIA's annual modeling and recent scenarios related to potential climate change mitigation (read EIA outlook). Dr. Burns provided an overview of key strategies available to industrial natural gas customers for heat applications (for example, see this article regarding efficiency gains associated with Praxair's oxy-fuel glass furnaces). Mr. Williams provided a lively case study on energy demand in Florida and consequences for energy planning associated with needed natural gas supply and storage infrastructure (link). A consistent theme for the panel were potential gains to be made from demand-side improvements in major customer segments (power generation and industrial use) within the context of growing demand for natural gas to meet climate and economic development targets.
- November 12 - CEE hosted a delegation from Brazil's National Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels Agency. The group was visiting the United States as part of the Natural Gas and Biofuels Regulatory Policies Orientation visit organized by the U.S. Trade & Development. Dr. Gulen discussed LNG and biofuels trends in the US.
- November 2 - CEE hosted a Strategy and Regulatory Policy Roundtable for the American Gas Association (AGA) member companies.
- October 29 - Mariano Gurfinkel gave a summary presentation on the recently completed National Petroleum Council study, "Facing the Hard Truths About Energy" to the UT Department of Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering as part of its Graduate Seminars. The study was performed in response to a request from the Secretary of Energy captured in a letter dated October 5, 2005. The National Petroleum Council conducted a comprehensive study considering the future of oil and natural gas to 2030 in the context of the global energy system. The complexity of today's integrated energy markets and the urgency surrounding today's energy issues demanded a study that included: an integrated view of supply, demand, infrastructure, technology, and geopolitics; a comprehensive review of public and aggregated proprietary energy outlooks; in-depth analysis of technology trends and opportunities; policy options viewed through economic, security, and environmental lenses; more than 350 participants from diverse backgrounds and organizations; dialogue with more than 1,000 persons and groups actively involved in energy. The Council found that total global demand for energy is projected to grow by 50-60 percent by 2030, driven by increasing population and the pursuit of improving living standards. At the same time, there are accumulating risks to the supply of reliable, affordable energy to meet this growth, including political hurdles, infrastructure requirements, and availability of a trained work force. We will need all economic, environmentally responsible energy sources to assure adequate, reliable supply.
- October 26 - A guest comment by Mariano Gurfinkel appeared in the October 22-26, 2007 volume of the Inter-American Dialogue's Latin American Advisor on Energy. The topic was the recently completed natural gas pipeline from Colombia to its eastern neighbor. [more]
- October 18 - Mariano Gurfinkel participated in a panel discussion on the topic of Peak Oil during the recent 2007 Houston World Oil Conference hosted by ASPO. The panel discussion centered on concerns about Peak Oil, its time frame and possible policy actions. Dr. Gurfinkel shared with the conference participants his view that resource constraints in general or resulting production limitations of "cheap" crude are not the problem.
"Increasing demand and lagging investment in supply and the resulting continued market tightness should be the focus, especially with trends towards non-market based agreements among key suppliers and large consumers. If market mechanisms are allowed to function, waste will be reduced and investment in other resources and alternatives will be made as needed. Surely there will be commercial winners and losers but governments should avoid the temptation to pick technology, even when energy security is an important factor. Rather policies should create mechanisms that capture the identified externalities and let humans do what they do best, innovate!"
Finally, Dr. Gurfinkel shared with the audience an excerpt of ongoing research at the Center which studies the evolution of energy use to fuels with ever higher energy availability even though in recent times they are trending to have their origin in resources with lower energy availability.
- October 17 - CEE was named a Finalist for the prestigious World Oil Awards in the Best Outreach Program category. CEE's nomination featured its "Africa Partnerships," which are focused on helping to prepare younger generations of the energy industry professionals and developing understanding of the energy industry among the general public in Africa as well as educating the Houston community about Africa energy sector issues. As recognized by the World Oil Advisory Board and the Next Generation Committee, the awards are designed to "applaud and showcase innovative thinking and next-generation leadership."
- October 9 - Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel was interviewed for and quoted in an article "Technology Left in Venezuela by Exxon, Conoco May Aid Rivals," by Isabel Ordonez of Dow Jones Newswires. [read]
- October 8 - Dr. Foss was a speaker at the Fourth Annual Meeting of the Science and Technology in Society forum (STS Forum), held from October 7 to October 9 in Kyoto, Japan. [more]
- October 1 - Dr. Foss was a panelist on "What are the Trade-Offs/Consequences/Options?" panel at the Latin American Forum III, held on September 30-October 2 in Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico. The panel was part of the session named "Energy Matrix for Latin America." The event was the next in the series of activities of the JSG's Latin American Forum on Energy and the Environment.
- September 27 - Dr. Michelle Foss presented "Electricity Sector Restructuring" and "Global LNG Developments" at the international Energy in Angola conference, which was held in Luanda. The 2-day event was organized jointly by the Centro de Estudos e Investigacao Cientifica (CEIC) at Universidade Catolica de Angola and the CEE. The event was sponsored by the USAID, OSISA, ESSO and the Angola Education Assistance Fund (AEAF). CEE and AEAF have an ongoing partnership in Angola, working with CEIC on joint publications (such as the Angola Energy Guide), conferences, and energy curriculum development.
- September 17-19 -CEE at the Energy Economics Conference
This week in Houston, CEE is leading the 27th North American Conference of the U.S. Association for Energy Economics (USAEE/IAEE). CEE is an institutional supporter of this conference, which is a key event for Houston, the U.S., and international energy economics professionals from industry, service companies, the financial sector, national labs and Federal agencies, and universities and research institutes. Dr. Michelle Michot Foss is the USAEE emeritus chair and presided over keynotes by Charles Zimmerman of Wal-Mart and Houston Mayor Bill White yesterday, the opening day of the conference.
Four papers are being presented by CEE researchers. Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel - "The Elusive Optimal Fiscal Regime for an Extra-Heavy Oil Resource: A Case Study," (by Gurfinkel, Gulen, Foss, Makaryan, Volkov; abstract); Dr. Gurcan Gulen will present "Supporting Biofuels: A Case Study on the Law of Unintended Consequences?" (paper by Gulen, B. Shenoy; abstract); Miranda Ferrell Wainberg, "Commercial Frameworks for National Oil Companies" (paper by Wainberg, Volkov, Foss; abstract); and Dmitry Volkov will present "Russian Gas Abyss" (paper by Volkov, Makaryan; abstract). CEE is also supporting a paper by Mr. Javier H. Estrada (President, Analitica Energetica S.C.) titled "Trans-Boundary Oil and Gas Fields between Mexico and the USA," see abstract. CEE senior researchers are leading plenary sessions as well. Dr. Gurfinkel will be presiding over a dual plenary session on LNG today, September 18. Dr. Gulen will preside on a concurrent session on Geopolitics of Energy Supply and participate in a Training Session on ERCOT with the Gulf Coast Power Association (GCPA). CEE is also sponsoring a major session on legal and regulatory issues for energy development in North America. CEE, the Jackson School of Geosciences, and McCombs School of Business have a joint exhibit at the conference, displaying information about various research and educational programs.
- August 27 - New Grant in Mexico
CEE-UT along with the Jackson School of Geosciences collaborators, Dr. Chip Groat and the Energy and Earth Resources degree program (EER), was awarded a new grant by Higher Education for Development to establish a partnership with Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM). The focus for the grant is energy sector advancement in Mexico. Activities to be undertaken with our lead partner at ITAM, Dr. Duncan Wood, and his colleagues include workshops and research papers on Mexico 's energy situation and a student exchange. Four qualifying ITAM students will receive scholarships to pursue master degrees in the EER program over the next two year. CEE-UT and JSG will also host faculty from ITAM and engage in other efforts aimed at boosting capacity for energy economics and policy education and research in Mexico at a most important time.
Read award announcement from HED
Download CEE HED grant fact sheet
- August 27 - A paper on the West African Gas Pipeline has been published in the Oil & Gas Journal. The paper titled "Net WAGP economic benefit requires Ghana development" was jointly written by Joseph Essandoh-Yeddu (Ghana's Energy Commission), Dr. Felix Asante (ISSER, University of Ghana) and CEE's Dr. Gürcan Gülen. Read article (subscription required)
- August 7 - Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel was interviewed for an article in The Christian Science Monitor. The article "LNG developers in the Northeast meet resistance," by Colin Woodard was published on August 7, 2007. [read]
- August 6 - Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel was interviewed for an article in in the fDi Magazine, published by Financial Times group. The article "Clean Growth ," by
Jason Mitchell was published on August 6, 2007. [read]
- July 9-13 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen led the West Africa Regional Natural Gas Workshop in Accra, Ghana. The event was organized by the Resource Center for Energy Economics and Regulation and supported by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, and Kumasi Institute of Technology, Energy and the Environment (KITE). The workshop welcomed delegates from Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Benin and Cote d'Ivoire. It is the next in the series of training programs for capacity-building of energy professionals and public education on energy issues in West Africa, undertaken by CEE through the Smart Development Initiative for Energy Sector GovernanceGrant from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
Read press release
- July 2-6 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen led the third annual Natural Gas Value Chain Workshop in Abuja, Nigeria. CEE-UT collaborated with the Gas Research Group at the University of Port Harcourt to deliver this five-day course on energy value chains. The course was attended by over 25 industry professionals, regulators, industry representatives, and university colleagues.
- June 22 - Dr. Gülen presented a paper at the 11th Annual Conference of the International Society for New Institutional Economics (ISNIE) in Reykjavik, Iceland. The paper was titled "Improving Regulatory Agency Efficiency and Effectiveness: Best Practices, Processes and Organizational Structures." He also chaired a session on Property Institutions and Market Performance and was a discussant in Decentralization and Deregulation session.
- June 21 - CEE welcomed a delegation of visitors from Canada and Mexico. The visitors were inthe United States under the auspices of the Department of State's International Visitor Leadership Program. Their program was titled "North American Energy Security in the 21st Century: A Sub-Regional Project for Canada and Mexico." The delegation was composed of six energy sector professionals. CEE's Dr. Foss and Dr. Gurfinkel discussed the current North American energy outlook, the growing importance of LNG, and opportunities for increased energy cooperation in the region.
- June 6 - Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel chaired a session "Investing and Economics" at the SPE Forum on "Unconventional Gas Resources" held in Colorado Springs, CO.
- April 19 - Dr. Foss presented at the 2007 Spring Conference & Annual Meeting of the the Association for International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN). Her presentation was titled "The Emerging Market Dynamics of LNG."
- April 18 - Dr. Foss was elected to the Board of Directors of the Association for International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).
- April 12 - Dr. Foss participated in the Energy and Development Day in Mexico, a forum organized by Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Thompson & Knight and CEE. This workshop was an extensive discussion on the economic, financial, fiscal, and legal implications of the strategic issues Mexico faces in its energy sector and potential solutions. The event represents the first activity in CEE's collaboration with ITAM. Event sponsors
- April 4 - Michelle Foss gave a presentation "Beyond the Science and Economics: The Politics of Global Energy" at the AAPG 2007 Annual Convention & Exhibition in Long Beach, CA. She presented during the Geoscience and Public Policy panel session. [download slides] Other members of the panel were: Chair, Don Juckett, Director, AAPG-Washington, DC (GEO-DC); Don Paul, Vice President for Research, Chevron Corp.; and Dan Tearpock, Chairman and CEO, Subsurface Consultants & Associates.
- March 26-31 - Dr. Gulen attended a one-week workshop organized by EcoMod. Decision makers in governments and companies want to know economic impacts no matter the source of disruption (environmental regulation, economic regulation, tax-subsidy policy, new technology, geopolitics, trade, new investment, etc.), and how best to achieve sustainable, quality investment from field to market. Quantitative impact analysis through economic models can enhance CEE's focus on qualitative aspects of commercial frameworks and allow testing of various framework scenarios.
- March 21 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "North American Energy: A Mexico Perspective" at the Energy Conference for Heads of Mission, organized by the Canadian Consulate General (Dallas). The event was held in Houston with participation of various Consulates throughout the US. The conference was held to to familiarize the HOMs to the work of the various networks, and in particular the Energy Network, or EnerNet. The Energy network is one of six networks established by Ottawa this past year to promote collaboration among the various US missions and the Canadian Embassy on long-term, strategic public diplomacy efforts in key areas. The EnerNet objectives are to promote research collaboration between universities, research institutions, and think tanks from the US and Canada; to promote Canadian emerging technologies in the energy sector; and on a broader scale to promote Canada as a reliable and secure energy partner to the US.
- March 8-9 - Michelle Foss and Mariano Gurfinkel attended the leading event on North American LNG industry, the CWC LNG 2007 conference, in San Antonio. Dr. Foss kicked off the event and chaired the opening plenary which dealt with "Current Supply and Demand Trends". Mariano Gurfinkel chaired a roundtable discussion on possible bottlenecks for future LNG supplies.
- March 6-10 - Dr. Gülen visited Angola to meet with partners from Centro de Estudos e Investigação Cientifica (CEIC) at Universidade Católica de Angola to follow up on their earlier visit to Houston. In addition to working on CEIC's energy report and international conference, the partners explored opportunities for further collaboration in the future and visited with various energy sector stakeholders and potential supporters of CEIC.
- March 5 - Dr. Gurfinkel gave an invited talk to the "Red Mexicana de Energia" in Mexico City. The talk "Oil in Venezuela: A historical perspective" centered on the evolution of the Venezuelan oil sector and how fiscal regimes and governing laws have created or hindered opportunities for private investment.
- February 22 - The University of Alberta MBA students completed their exchange visit to Texas by attending meetings in Austin. On the last day of their program, students visited the Railroad Commission of Texas, toured the state's Capitol, and visited the UT-Austin campus. At UT-Austin, the students had an opportunity to listen to presentations by the UT professors and students, and presented as well. The visit was concluded by a students' social kindly hosted by the McCombs School of Business.
- February 19 - CEE welcomed 28 students from the University of Alberta MBA program. The students, who specialize in Natural Resources and Energy, will be in Texas for one-week on this exchange program visiting CEE, energy and other companies, regulatory agencies and the University of Texas campus in Austin. On this opening day of the UA visit, CEE senior staff made presentations on the world outlooks for natural gas and its impact on North America, natural gas and LNG projects, and Texas electricity market restructuring. Download program.
- February 15 - CEE held a Think Day on South Korea. CEE's visiting researcher Dr. Chang Hyeun Cho of Korea Institute for Industrial Economics and Trade (KIET) presented at the event. He discussed his research conclusions regarding Texas and US electricity restructuring and regulation and considerations for generation fuels as compared to the Korea experience.
- February 5 - CEE's Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen, in cooperation with the Resource Center for Energy Economics and Regulation (RCEER) with the support of Kumasi Institute of Technology and Environment (KITE), Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) launched a Natural Gas Workshop in Abuja, Nigeria. This week-long program will help participants better understand the requirements for a reasonably well-functioning natural gas marketplace in the West Africa sub-region. The program will cover both the West Africa Gas Pipeline and directly affected countries (Nigeria, Benin, Togo and Ghana) as well as internal and other regional considerations for expanded development of natural gas resources and enhanced use of natural gas for domestic and regional economic development and trade.
- December 7-8 - CEE held its 2006 Annual Meeting. In addition to CEE reports on the milestones achieved in the past year and plans for the upcoming projects, the annual meeting featured presentations by Dr. Jonathan Stern (OIES), Shirley Neff (AOPL), Mike Juden (McKinsey & Company), Andrew Slaughter (Shell E&P), and Dick Snyder (CenterPoint Energy).
- November 7 - CEE released a Review on Offshore LNG Receiving Terminals. The briefing paper was developed to provide a public domain source of information on the diverse array of offshore LNG technologies and options as well as related issues and considerations. It was developed through CEE's Consortium on LNG and is the latest addition to LNG briefing papers that comprise the online Guide to LNG in North America, which can be accessed on CEE's LNG page.
- November 3 - Delegations from Ghana and Nigeria have completed their two-week stay in Houston. The study tour on natural gas was organized by CEE and included lectures at CEE, guest speaker presentations and site visits to local distribution companies, CNG and LNG fleets, and regulatory agencies. [more]
- November 1- CEE held a Think Day on Africa. The Think Day included presentations of delegations from Ghana and Nigeria, visiting CEE on a study tour on natural gas industry in the U.S. [more]
- October 30 - CEE welcomed Ms. Harriette Amissah-Arthur, a Directorof the Kumasi Institute of Technology and Environment. She was invited to present at the Gulf Publishing Company's "Women's Global Leadership Conference in Energy & Technology." Ms. Amissah-Arthur presented in a session "Sustainable Development: What are the Duties of Energy Companies?"
- October 23 - CEE welcomed a group of energy sector professionals from Nigeria and Ghana. The delegations will stay in Houston for a two-week study tour on natural gas. A number of lectures and site visits are planned for the group. [more]
- October 20 - Guide to Electric Power in Mexico Launched at Border Energy Forum XIII. Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM) and the Center for Energy Economics at the Bureau of Economic Geology, Jackson School of Geosciences, the University of Texas at Austin, today released the Guide to Electric Power in Texas . The guide was launched at the Border Energy Forum XIII in Tampico, Tamaulipas, Mexico.
Read JSG press release
Download the Guide: [in English] [in Spanish]
"No sustentables CFE y Luz y Fuerza del Centro," Milenio 10/20/06
"Destacan potencial de las ciudades fronterizas," Milenio 10/21/06
"Crece servicio de energia electrical en Mexico," Milenio 10/21/06
- October 17 - On October 17, 2006 Mariano Gurfinkel was a key-note speaker at the IX Rice Global E&C Forum held at th he James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy of Rice University. He addressed the Forum on the prospect for evolution of energy policies in the NAFTA trading partner nations and their implications for economic activity in the region.
- October 6- CEE held the opening Think Day on Mexican Energy Post-election. It addressed high level issues and scenarios for Mexico's energy sector. Dr. Ernesto Marcos, long time member of CEE's advisory board, provided an overview of key themes emanating from the national elections and outlined a number of tasks and scenarios going forward. [more]
- September 24-27 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen took part in the 26th USAEE/IAEE North American Conference in Ann Arbor. At the conference, Dr. Foss received the USAEE Senior Fellow Award, being recognized for her distinguished contributions to the field of energy economics. Dr. Gulen presented and chaired a session "Energy, Economic Development & Energy Poverty."
- September 15 - The Guide to Natural Gas in Ghana by RCEER was launched at the International Press Center (Accra, Ghana) during an outreach activity hosted jointly by RCEER and the Institute for Financial and Economics Journalists (IFEJ). The event was chaired by Mr. Kwame Pianim, Chairman of the PURC. The event was attended by about 75 people, including the RCEER Advisory Board members, several TV stations, newspapers and radio stations. The event was conducted as part of CEE's "Smart Development Initiative." [more]
- September 13 - A Natural Gas Workshop, organized by the Resource Center for Energy Economics and Regulation (RCEER) was held in Accra, Ghana. Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen provided information on natural gas industry infrastructure, commercial arrangements, investment considerations, case studies on distribution network development and economics of CNG use for transportation. The workshop was attended by energy sector professionals representing a variety of Ghana's entities, including EC, PURC, Ministry of Energy, GOIL, VRA, NPA, EPA, and WAPCO. The workshop was conducted as part of CEE's "Smart Development Initiative."
- September 13 - CEE has been named a Finalist for the 2006 World Oil Awards in the "Outreach" category. In this category, the Award recognizes "the program that does the best job of teaching the general community about the petroleum industry." Winners will be awarded at the Awards Gala Dinner on October 19, 2006.
- September 12 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen attended a workshop organized by the Energy Commission of Ghana on natural gas pipeline development in Ghana. The workshop was attended by Ghana's key stakeholders, including the Minister of Energy.
- September 4-15 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen traveled to Ghana for meetings with various partners of CEE's "Smart Development Initiative."
- September 1 - CEE welcomed Dr. Chang Hyeun Cho, a Research Fellow of the Korea Institute for International Economics and Trade (KIET). Dr. Cho will spend a few months at CEE studying electricity sector restructuring in the US and Texas, and conducting research on restructuring of the electricity sector in Korea.
- June 29 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation at the NABC Business Forum's 2006 "Conference on India's Energy Challenges, Opportunities, Strategies & Solutions," in Houston, Texas.
- June 22 - Dmitry Volkov participated in the Meeting of the Members, Strategic Session & Board of Directors Meeting of the North American Energy Standards Board.
- June 21-22 - Dr. Michelle Foss participated in the Annual Sponsors' Review-Discussion Meeting of the Gas Research Programme at the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Oxford. Dr. Foss presented her forthcoming paper "US Natural Gas Prices: Scenarios to 2015."
- June 21 - Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel presented an Overview of North American LNG during the National Commission on Energy Policy's Forum on LNG Facility Siting held in Washington, DC. The forum was co-sponsored by The Center for LNG, the Natural Resources Defense Council and the American Chemistry Council and explored the state of siting of LNG facilities in the United States and addressed obstacles and challenges to LNG infrastructure development.
- June 5-9 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gülen collaborated with their colleagues from the Gas Research Group
at UNIPORT to deliver a five-day course on energy value chains with a special emphasis
on natural gas monetization options. The course was supported by the NNPC
and Petroleum Technology Development Fund.
The course was attended by 24 industry professionals. Click here for course flyer.
- May 31 - CEE co-sponsored a Lukens Energy Group' Quarterly Breakfast Forum "Climate Change Policy." Kyle W. Danish (Van Ness Feldman, P.C.) was the speaker at the event.
- May 25 - Mariano Gurfinkel was an invited speaker on "Options for Marginal and Heavy Oil Fields" at the North American present and future reliance on heavy oils workshop held in Villahermosa, Mexico. The workshop is the part of the activities of the Hydrocarbon working group of the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America. The talk presented a review of the evolution of EOR projects in carbonates in the United States and an introduction to the role of in-situ upgrading in the exploitation of extra-heavy crude oil resources.
- May 24 - Dr. Foss was a keynote speaker at the International Energy Credit Association's Education Seminar "What is Today's Message from the Markets for Energy?"
- May 19 - CEE held a certificate award ceremony for 26 delegates of its "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation" program. The graduation dinner completed this 6th annual, two-week session of the program. This year CEE welcomed 26 delegates from Angola, Cote D'Ivoire, Ecuador, Ghana, Iraq, Korea, Mexico, Nigeria, Turkey, and the U.S.
- May 18 - Dr. Foss presented at the "Energy & Communications Conference 2006" organized by the Texas Society of CPAs, held in Austin, Texas. Dr. Foss provided update on LNG in a presentation titled "LNG: Can We Build It?"
- May 8 - CEE launches the 6th Annual "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation."
- May 4 - API publishes a report "Oil and Gas Industry Investments in Alternative Energy, Frontier Hydrocarbons and Advanced End-Use Technologies." The research, undertaken by API, was performed by the Institute for Energy Research with support from CEE.
Read press release
- May 3 - Dr. Foss presented at the OTC Panel Session "Technology Commercialization: Energy Policy Act 2005"
- April 28 - Joseph Essandoh-Yeddu , Chief Planning Analyst, Ghana Energy Commission, who is in the U.S. for an extended exchange visit at CEE, presented at BEG. He spoke on " Capacity Building in the Ghana Energy Sector: the Contribution of CEE/BEG ". abstract
- April 27 - CEE held its Think Day on Electric Power Issues, with Ron Norman, PA Consulting, and Brett Perlman , Vector Consultants.
- April 24 - Dr. Foss gave a keynote address "Forward, Backward, Sideways: Global Energy Redux" for Fuels and Petrochemical Division at the AIChE Spring National Meeting in Orlando.
- April 22 - Dr. Foss was interviewed for ABC News' show World News Tonight.
- April 22-26 - Dr. Gurfinkel attended the 2006 SPE/DOE Symposium on Improved Oil Recovery in Tulsa, and presented with Eduardo Manrique of Norwest Questa Engineering the paper "EOR Field Experiences in Carbonate Reservoirs in the United States."
- April 19 - Dr. Foss was interviewed for an article "Blackouts a fluke now, but in 2010? Texas must build plants - and soon, experts say" published in The Dallas Morning News on April 19.
- March 24 - Dr. Foss presented BEG Friday's Technical Seminar. The title of her talk was "Update on CEE Activities: Natural Gas Issues and Outlooks."Abstract
- March 22 - Dr. Gurfinkel was interviewed by Tsuyoshi Nojima of Asahi Shimbum as part of a report on U.S. National and Energy Security. Topics covered ranged from the future of LNG supplies to the promise of heavy oil resources in the Western Hemisphere.
- March 16 - Dr. Foss was a moderator at a Networking Roundtable at the CWC LNG San Antonio Conference.
- March 9 - CEE held a Special Think Day on Canadian Energy. Mr. Roland Priddle (retired chair of NEB-Canada), Mr. Phil Ribbeck, (Director of LNG North America, Repsol YPF), Mr. Kin Chow (Chair of the Canadian Society for Unconventional Gas and VP of CDX Canada ), Dr. David Knapp, Energy Intelligence Group, and Mr. Gerald Westbrook (TSBV Consultants) presented at the event. The event was sponsored by the Canadian Consulate General-Dallas and the Canadian Consulate General. Download presentation slides from Think Corner
- February 18 - March 3 - CEE hosted Mr. Emmanuel Quaye-Foli (Ghana's Ministry of Energy) and Mr. Seth Adjei-Boye (PURC, Ghana) for a two week visit to Houston. During the visit, joined by Mr. Essandoh-Yeddu, who is visiting CEE for a longer period of time, the team learned about the natural gas Texas and U.S. The team visited facilities, regulatory agencies and worked with CEE researchers on various issues of developing Ghana's natural gas market...more
- February 16 - Dr. Foss spoke at the USAEE Louisiana Chapter meeting. Her presentation, "Energy Roundup: Issues on Deck for 2006," addressed market and policy issues for 2006.
- February 15 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "Gulf Coast Oil & Gas within the US and Global Context" at a monthly luncheon of the Lafayette Geological Society
- February 7 - CEE welcomed Mr. Joseph Essandoh-Yeddu, Director of Strategic Planning and Policy Division at Ghana's Energy Commission for a 6-month stay at CEE for joint research and other activities.
- January 26-27 - Dr. Foss moderated a panel on LNG Developments at 2000 LNG Symposium "Legal Challenges to Liquefied Natural Gas" organized by the UT School of Law and Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law CLE Symposium, UT-Austin
- January 23 - CEE organized for the US Department of Energy a workshop on offshore Oil and Gas production in North America. This workshop was part of Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) North American Forum, with the participation of representatives from the three SPP countries. The event was hosted by Rice University 's Baker Institute with coordination provided by Florida International University 's Applied Research Center. Dr. Foss and Dr. Gurfinkel took part in the roundtable discussions.
- December 12-14 - Dr. Foss participated in an IGU workshop on US Natural Gas, held in Washington, D.C.
- December 8 - CEE provided an overview of its activities over the past year and plans for the next year at the CEE's Annual Meeting and Think Day. Mr. William Cooper (Center for LNG) and Mr. Jonathan Stern (Oxford Institute for Energy Studies) presented at the event.
- December 7 - CEE, jointly with the Houston World Affairs Council, hosted a briefing by Jonathan Stern titled after his book "The Future of Russian Gas and Gazprom," recently published by the Oxford University Press. Mr. Stern is Director of Gas Research at Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, UK. The briefing was followed by a reception and holiday open house.
- November 17 - CEE hosted the 6 th Pan American Regional Forum of the Society of International Gas Tanker and Terminal Operators (SIGTTO) in CEE's offices at Sugar Land.
- November 16 - Dr. Michelle Foss presented at BP's Tight Gas Symposium held in Sugar Land, TX.
- November 3 - Dr. Foss presented on "The Role of Energy in Propelling Sustainable Development in Emerging Economies" at the Women's Global Leadership Conference in Energy and Technology in Houston. Download presentation slides
- November 1-3 - During the International Thermal Operations and Heavy Oil Symposium "Heavy Oil --- Integrating the Pieces" held in Calgary, Alberta, Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel as part of the Technical Program Committee, chaired sessions on Field Cases and Fluid Properties. The event was organized by the Canadian Heavy Oil Association, the Society of Petroleum Engineers and the Petroleum Society of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum.
- New Staff Member Joins CEE. Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel joined CEE in October as the Associate Head of CEE. Dr. Gurfinkel holds Ph.D. and M.S. degrees in mechanical engineering from MIT and a B.S. degree with honors in mechanical engineering from Universidad Simon Bolivar. He will serve as the team leader for liquefied natural gas research and outreach and will also support the Bureau's State of Texas Advanced Resource Recovery and Gulf Coast Carbon Center research programs, as well as the FutureGen Texas initiative.
- October 25 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation on "The World of Energy - Post Katrina" at the luncheon of the Women's Energy Network of Houston.
- October 16-18- Dr. Foss spoke at the 10 Years in Energy Regulation in Mexico, Veracruz, Mexico. Her presentation was titled "North American Energy Regulation: Public Education, Public Education, Public Public Responsibility."
- October 13-14 - Dr. Foss took part in the Natural Gas Workshop at Border Energy Forum XII in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- October 11 - Dr. Foss spoke at The Ernst & Young Annual Thought Leadership Conference for Energy, Chemical, and Utility Executives "Explorations 2005".
- October 10 - Dr. Foss presented at the 81st Annual Fall Conference of the International Energy Credit Association, LaCosta Resort, Carlsbad , California.
- September 20 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "Energy Sector Development in the Americas: Can University-based Local Initiatives Work?" at the forum "Revitalizing Partnerships in Energy and the Environment," organized by the Jackson School of Geosciences, The University of Texas at Austin.
- September 13 - Dr. Foss represented the University of Texas at Austin at the Young Women Energized - Energy Careers for High School Girls, organized by the Women's Energy Network of Houston.
- September 13 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "Does the Long-Term Demand For LNG Justify Planned Investments In LNG?" at the 2nd Annual Law of LNG Conference, organized by The Institute for Energy Law, The Center For American and International Law.
- September 9 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation on "Global LNG markets and implications for Hong Kong and Southern China" at the Civic Exchange Roundtable Discussion on LNG in Hong Kong.
- August 3- Dr. Foss took part in the Colombia Oil and Gas Investment Roundtable, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy in cooperation with the Greater Houston Partnership and the Independent Petroleum Association of America. The roundtable focused on the Colombian business environment and opportunities for U.S. investment in the oil and gas industry.
- July 26 - CEE welcomed a group of Foreign Service Officers as part of the Foreign Service Officer Energy Industry Training Session organized by the Petroleum Equipment Suppliers Association (PESA). Mr. Brian Rabe (Devon Energy) also presented for the group.
- July 24 - CEE senior staff took part in 2005 Summer Committee Meetings of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC). Dr. Michelle M. Foss made a presentation for the Committee on International Relations, Staff Subcommittee on International Relations. Her presentation provided an update and status of the CEE partnership with the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). For more information about the partnership, visit CEE ALO Grant page
- July 18 - Bureau of Economic Geology at The University of Texas at Austin Leads Texas Effort to Build Power Plant of the Future -- Austin, Texas -The Bureau of Economic Geology at The University of Texas at Austin 's Jackson School of Geosciences has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the state of Texas to help prepare the state's bid for FutureGen, a $1 billion federal program to develop the power plant of the future. Download UT-Austin press release
- July 13 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gulen participated in a workshop on "The Guide to Electric Power in Ghana," organized by the Resource Center for Energy Economics and Regulation (RCEER) in Accra, Ghana. The workshop was held as part of activities of CEE's USAID grant on Energy Sector Governance. July 13 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gulen participated in a workshop on "The Guide to Electric Power in Ghana," organized by the Resource Center for Energy Economics and Regulation (RCEER) in Accra, Ghana. The workshop was held as part of activities of CEE's USAID grant on Energy Sector Governance.
- July 4-8 - Dr. Foss led a short course on "Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation" in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. The training course was jointly organized by the CEE and Petroleum Technology Development Fund, Gas Research Group, University of Port Harcourt. Prof. Mike Onyekonwu was also an instructor in this course.
- June 28 - 29 - Dr. Foss took part in The Sixth U.S. - China
Oil and Gas Industry Forum in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- June 16 - Dr. Foss participated in the CLNG-USEA LNG Conference "LNG in the US - The Present, The Potential" in Washington, D.C.
- June 3-6 - Dr. Foss presented at the 28th Annual IAEE International Conference "Globalization of Energy: Markets, Technology, and Sustainability" in Taipei.
- June 1 - Dr. Foss participated in joint meeting on LNG Access Issues and Supply Reliability organized by The California Resources Agency, in coordination with the California Energy Commission and the California Public Utilities Commission. The workshop was conducted to explore ways to maximize the potential economic benefits to consumers of any natural gas imported to California in the form of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and safeguard California's natural gas markets. Read meeting notice.
- May 26 - CEE team took part in the Joint workshop with Bureau of Economic Geology-University of Texas, Opportunities and Issues in Carbon Markets.
- May 9-20 - CEE held its annual international capacity-building program "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Creation", with 18 delegates from 12 countries, including Angola, Bangladesh, Chile, Ghana, Honduras, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, United States and Venezuela.
- April 18 - The CEE publishes the first issue of its Energy Market Report. The report is a twice-monthly report on key indicators and issues in markets for oil, natural gas, coal, and power. The report will provide timely and concise information on the factors that drive energy markets. To view the report, visit Think Corner.
- April 14 - Dr. Foss served as the moderator for the panel on Global Energy Market Challenges and Ramifications for the Energy Bar Association's 59-th Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
- April 12-14 - Dr. Gülen took part in the The CWC Group Conference LNG New Orleans 2005, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- April 8 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "LNG Safety and Security" at the Energy Council's Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)/ Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Workshop in Biloxi, Mississippi.
- March 30 – Dr. Foss attended a meeting with Dr. Amory B. Lovins, Cofounder and CEO of the Rocky Mountain Institute and co-author of Winning the Oil Endgame. Among the topics discussed were the role of the energy industry in fostering alternative energy sources and the efficiency of current energy consumption technologies and practices, and impact of policy choices.
- March 14-17 - Dr. Foss took part in Gastech 2005 - The 21st International Conference & Exhibition for the LNG, LPG & Natural Gas Industries (Bilbao, Spain).
- March 3 - Mr. Fisoye Delano took part in the ChevronTexaco Open House for the Casotte Liquefied Natural Gas Import Terminal Project, which was held Pascagoula, Mississippi.
- February 25 - The CEE held its monthly Think Day. This Think Day session focused on issues of oil and gas development in Alberta and featured presentations by students from the University of Alberta MBA program, specializing in Natural Resources and Energy. Download students' papers.
- February 21 - The CEE welcomed a group of students from the University of Alberta MBA program, specializing in Natural Resources and Energy. The group will spend a week in Houston, visiting companies and attending meetings on various subjects such as energy industry regulation in North America; energy trading and marketing; electricity restructuring in Texas, and other.
- February 18 - Dr. Foss made a presentation on LNG at the Millwright Annual Leadership Conference of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters.
- February 10-11 - Dr. Foss made a presentation "Status of Emerging LNG Receiving Options" at the Gas/Electric Partnership Workshop "Pipeline Configuration for Tomorrow's Gas Supplies."
- February 2 - Dr. Foss participated the LNG Community Awareness Workshop, organized by the Office of Pipeline Safety of the Department of Transportation's Research & Special Programs Administration (RSPA).
- January 28 - The CEE held its Think Day on U.S. electricity restructuring issues. Peter van Doren of Cato Institute discussed the controversial Cato piece "Rethinking Electricity Restructuring," by Peter Van Doren and Jerry Taylor, which was published in Policy Analysis in November 2004.
- January 27 - Mr. Fisoye Delano gave a presentation on the "State of the Natural Gas Industry" at the 5th Annual Conference "LNG: Economics & Technology," organized by the Strategic Research Institute.
- January 25 - Dr. Foss made a presentation on Natural Gas and LNG in China during the 2005 NAPE Expo International Forum Day - Energy Opportunities in China Today, organized by Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
- January 25 - The CEE hosted a delegation from the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs (Harvard University).
- January 24 - Mr. Fisoye Delano gave a presentation on the "Atlantic and Pacific Supply Basin Outlook" at the Dufour Energy Commodities' 2005 LNG Conference "The Growth for LNG in North America" in Calgary.
- January 17 - Dr. Foss chaired a session "Overcoming Barriers to Electricity Investment" at the workshop of the International Energy Agency "The Developing World and the Electricity Challenge" in Paris, France.
- January 9-12 - Mr. Fisoye Delano collaborated with the Department of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Engineering (PMRE) of the Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET) to conduct a workshop in Dhaka, Bangladesh on Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation. The workshop was developed and delivered as part of the CEE - BUET/PMRE partnership, funded by a grant from the Association Liaison Office for University Cooperation in Development.