- December 8, 2011 - Miranda Ferrell Wainberg participated as an expert discussant in a CENTRA Technology workshop, The Mexican Energy Sector Outlook.
- December 7-8, 2011 - CEE had its annual meeting in Houston. The event was attended by Eric Potter, Associate Director of BEG, Bill Ambrose, STARR project manager at BEG, Jonathan Stern, Howard Rogers and Anouk Honore from the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies and many CEE partners, advisors and research colleagues. We covered a wide range of topics including shale gas geology and economics, European and global natural gas and LNG markets, and gas-power linkages, presenting results of our initial modeling using the AURORAxmp software. Presentations can be found at our Think Corner.
- November 30, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss presented "Upstream, Midstream, and Consumer Impacts of EPA Regulation on Shale Gas" at the Bernstein Research Energy Conference, New York City.
- November 17, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss presented "Economic Impacts of Shale Development" at the Secretaría de Energía Shale Gas Forum, Mexico, DF. [link]
- November 8, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss participated in a panel, "A Global Market for Gas?" at the CWC World Shale Gas Conference & Exhibition, Houston.
- October 27, 2011 - Dr. Gülen presented "Gas-Power Linkages" at the 2011 Electric Market Forecasting Conference, San Antonio, organized by EPIS, Inc, developers of the AURORAxmp software. [presentation]
- October 12, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss spoke at the 2011 Oil & Money conference in London, UK. Her presentation "Energy Tradeoffs" was part of a panel on The Future of Nuclear Power and Renewables: Implications for Oil, Gas and Carbon Controls. [presentation]
- August 15- 17, 2011 - Dr. Gülen taught a course titled "Energy Economics" to a group of 25 midlevel downstream executives from Sinopec (China), who are preparing to lead company operations around the world. The program is a 21-week-long Sinopec Refinery Executive Education Leadership program developed by UT's McCombs School of Business Executive Education.
- July 25-27, 2011- Dr. Michelle Foss taught a course titled "Global Challenges and Future Outlooks" to a group of 25 mid-level downstream executives from Sinopec (China), who are preparing to lead company operations around the world. The program is a 21-week-long Sinopec Refinery Executive Education Leadership program developed by UT's McCombs School of Business Executive Education.
- July 16-29, 2011- Dr Gülen lectured on upstream economics, natural gas and LNG value chains, renewables economics and project finance considerations to Assistant Energy Experts from the Energy Market Regulatory Authority of Turkey. The group is attending a long-term capacity building program hosted by the Institute of Public Utilities at Michigan State University.
- July 20, 2011 – Dr. Foss gave a presentation "Economic and Policy Perspectives on U.S. Reserves and Resources" at the SPE/AAPG/SPEE Reserves and Resources Estimation and Reporting Symposium held in Houston on July 19-21. Presentation was part of the panel on "Policy, Regulatory, and Financial Perspective on Using Reserves and Resource Numbers." [download presentation]
- July 11-14, 2011 - CEE led a training program on oil value chain economics for Uganda energy sector directors and professionals in Kampala, Uganda. Dr. Michot Foss and Dr. Gulen served as facilitators and instructors for the event, which was sponsored by U.S. Department of State-Energy Governance and Capacity Initiative and US Agency for International Development.
- June 29-30, 2011 - Dr. Foss was invited to join Technical Advisory Group for Natural Resource Charter, led by Paul Collier, Oxford University and chaired by former president of Mexico Dr. Ernesto Zedillo. Dr. Michot Foss attended the Annual Charter Conference. Information on the Charter can be found at http://www.naturalresourcecharter.org/.
- June 28, 2011 - On June 28, Dr. Foss gave a presentation as a member of the American Gas Association LNG 17 panel for Wall Street in New York City. Other panel members were LNG 17 Executive Director Jay Copan; Bob Ineson, IHS-CERA; Geoff Couper, JP Morgan; Curt Launer, Deutsch Bank; and Ronald Barone, UBS. [download presentation]
- June 15, 2011 - Dr. Foss gave a keynote address at SPE Unconventional Gas Conference, The Woodlands. [download presentation]
- May 31 - June 3, 2011 - In Houston, CEE hosted a group of 23 mid-level executives from Sinopec (China). The program is a 21-week long Leadership Executive Education program developed for Sinopec E&P by UT’s McCombs School of Business Executive Education. While in Houston, the group attended presentations by CEE-UT senior staff, and had a field visit day to Houston-based oilfied service companies.
- May 18, 2011 - Dr. Foss presented at the OIES/CEE seminar on international natural gas trade in Oxford as part of CEE-OIES collaboration and forthcoming Oxford book on international natural gas trade and pricing. Dr. Michot Foss is also authoring a new, forthcoming working paper for OIES-Natural Gas Programme, “U.S. Natural Gas at ‘20’ and Henry Hub at 2020: $3 or $10”.
- May 11, 2011 - Dr. Foss presented at the Flame 2011 Conference in Amsterdam. [download presentation] and [watch interview with Dr. Foss]
- April 26, 2011 – Dr. Gulen presented on uncertainties associated with predicting the price of natural gas at an event of Professional Risk Managers’ International Association. Forecasting energy prices is difficult; past forecasts by various entities have been consistently wrong. It is more important to understand the fundamentals on both the demand and supply sides to develop likely scenarios. For natural gas, there are drivers that can increase the cost of supply (upstream economics of shale is not uniform, liquids infrastructure is constrained, potential regulations on fracturing, water recycling and methane emissions); demand has been increasing and a variety of emissions regulations may induce further increases. We have seen these conditions in previous boom-bust cycles.
- April 13, 2011 – Dr. Gülen presented on the critical role of natural gas in the U.S. energy portfolio at the 25th Annual Spring Conference & Exhibition of the Gulf Coast Power Association. Natural gas continues to increase its share in power generation; the low price environment is also helping some industrial demand to come back as well. There are many unknowns related to new environmental regulations on mercury, ash and other pollutants that may force many coal plants to retire. Environmental regulations regarding hydraulic fracturing and waste water treatment may impact shale production. How will these unfold will impact demand and supply conditions and hence the price of natural gas.
- April 12, 2011 – Dr. Gülen presented on developments in the global LNG scene at the AAPG 2011 Annual Convention & Exhibition. CEE-UT has been following the LNG market since the early 2000s as part of its LNG program area. The excess supply of LNG cargoes in the Atlantic Basin renders significant exports from the U.S. unlikely; shale gas producers cannot count on LNG exports to help with the low price environment in the short term. [download presentation]
- April 12, 2011 - Dr. Gülen presented on the economics of carbon capture and sequestration at the AAPG 2011 Annual Convention & Exhibition. The Gulf Coast Carbon Center, housed at BEG, is one of the largest research programs focusing on CCS. Dr. Gulen has been involved in several papers jointly with other BEG and UT researchers evaluating CO2-EOR value chain economics. This presentation included some of the early results from this research. [download presentation]
- March 24, 2011 - Dr. Gülen gave a presentation "Energy Poverty and Economics of Energy Technologies" at Baylor University Energy Forum. [download presentation] [watch Dr.Gulen's presentation]
- March 17, 2011 - Dr. Michot Foss gave a testimony at the Committee on Natural Resources oversight hearing on “Harnessing American Resources to Create Jobs and Address Rising Gasoline Prices: Domestic Resources and Economic Impacts.” [download]
- February 11, 2011 - CEE held a Roundtable on Nuclear Energy II.
- January 25, 2011 - Miranda Wainberg participated in the panel "The Changing Face of National Oil Companies: Trends and Issues Unique to this Segment of the Energy Sector" at the AIPN and The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law 2011 International Upstream Energy Transactions Conference.