- December 12-14 - Dr. Foss participated in an IGU workshop on US Natural Gas, held in Washington, D.C.
- December 8 - CEE provided an overview of its activities over the past year and plans for the next year at the CEE's Annual Meeting and Think Day. Mr. William Cooper (Center for LNG) and Mr. Jonathan Stern (Oxford Institute for Energy Studies) presented at the event.
- December 7 - CEE, jointly with the Houston World Affairs Council, hosted a briefing by Jonathan Stern titled after his book "The Future of Russian Gas and Gazprom," recently published by the Oxford University Press. Mr. Stern is Director of Gas Research at Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, UK. The briefing was followed by a reception and holiday open house.
- November 17 - CEE hosted the 6 th Pan American Regional Forum of the Society of International Gas Tanker and Terminal Operators (SIGTTO) in CEE's offices at Sugar Land.
- November 16 - Dr. Michelle Foss presented at BP's Tight Gas Symposium held in Sugar Land, TX.
- November 3 - Dr. Foss presented on "The Role of Energy in Propelling Sustainable Development in Emerging Economies" at the Women's Global Leadership Conference in Energy and Technology in Houston. Download presentation slides
- November 1-3 - During the International Thermal Operations and Heavy Oil Symposium "Heavy Oil --- Integrating the Pieces" held in Calgary, Alberta, Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel as part of the Technical Program Committee, chaired sessions on Field Cases and Fluid Properties. The event was organized by the Canadian Heavy Oil Association, the Society of Petroleum Engineers and the Petroleum Society of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum.
- New Staff Member Joins CEE. Dr. Mariano Gurfinkel joined CEE in October as the Associate Head of CEE. Dr. Gurfinkel holds Ph.D. and M.S. degrees in mechanical engineering from MIT and a B.S. degree with honors in mechanical engineering from Universidad Simon Bolivar. He will serve as the team leader for liquefied natural gas research and outreach and will also support the Bureau's State of Texas Advanced Resource Recovery and Gulf Coast Carbon Center research programs, as well as the FutureGen Texas initiative.
- October 25 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation on "The World of Energy - Post Katrina" at the luncheon of the Women's Energy Network of Houston.
- October 16-18- Dr. Foss spoke at the 10 Years in Energy Regulation in Mexico, Veracruz, Mexico. Her presentation was titled "North American Energy Regulation: Public Education, Public Education, Public Public Responsibility."
- October 13-14 - Dr. Foss took part in the Natural Gas Workshop at Border Energy Forum XII in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- October 11 - Dr. Foss spoke at The Ernst & Young Annual Thought Leadership Conference for Energy, Chemical, and Utility Executives "Explorations 2005".
- October 10 - Dr. Foss presented at the 81st Annual Fall Conference of the International Energy Credit Association, LaCosta Resort, Carlsbad , California.
- September 20 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "Energy Sector Development in the Americas: Can University-based Local Initiatives Work?" at the forum "Revitalizing Partnerships in Energy and the Environment," organized by the Jackson School of Geosciences, The University of Texas at Austin.
- September 13 - Dr. Foss represented the University of Texas at Austin at the Young Women Energized - Energy Careers for High School Girls, organized by the Women's Energy Network of Houston.
- September 13 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "Does the Long-Term Demand For LNG Justify Planned Investments In LNG?" at the 2nd Annual Law of LNG Conference, organized by The Institute for Energy Law, The Center For American and International Law.
- September 9 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation on "Global LNG markets and implications for Hong Kong and Southern China" at the Civic Exchange Roundtable Discussion on LNG in Hong Kong.
- August 3- Dr. Foss took part in the Colombia Oil and Gas Investment Roundtable, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy in cooperation with the Greater Houston Partnership and the Independent Petroleum Association of America. The roundtable focused on the Colombian business environment and opportunities for U.S. investment in the oil and gas industry.
- July 26 - CEE welcomed a group of Foreign Service Officers as part of the Foreign Service Officer Energy Industry Training Session organized by the Petroleum Equipment Suppliers Association (PESA). Mr. Brian Rabe (Devon Energy) also presented for the group.
- July 24 - CEE senior staff took part in 2005 Summer Committee Meetings of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC). Dr. Michelle M. Foss made a presentation for the Committee on International Relations, Staff Subcommittee on International Relations. Her presentation provided an update and status of the CEE partnership with the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). For more information about the partnership, visit CEE ALO Grant page
- July 18 - Bureau of Economic Geology at The University of Texas at Austin Leads Texas Effort to Build Power Plant of the Future -- Austin, Texas -The Bureau of Economic Geology at The University of Texas at Austin 's Jackson School of Geosciences has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the state of Texas to help prepare the state's bid for FutureGen, a $1 billion federal program to develop the power plant of the future. Download UT-Austin press release
- July 13 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gulen participated in a workshop on "The Guide to Electric Power in Ghana," organized by the Resource Center for Energy Economics and Regulation (RCEER) in Accra, Ghana. The workshop was held as part of activities of CEE's USAID grant on Energy Sector Governance. July 13 - Dr. Foss and Dr. Gulen participated in a workshop on "The Guide to Electric Power in Ghana," organized by the Resource Center for Energy Economics and Regulation (RCEER) in Accra, Ghana. The workshop was held as part of activities of CEE's USAID grant on Energy Sector Governance.
- July 4-8 - Dr. Foss led a short course on "Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation" in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. The training course was jointly organized by the CEE and Petroleum Technology Development Fund, Gas Research Group, University of Port Harcourt. Prof. Mike Onyekonwu was also an instructor in this course.
- June 28 - 29 - Dr. Foss took part in The Sixth U.S. - China Oil and Gas Industry Forum in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- June 16 - Dr. Foss participated in the CLNG-USEA LNG Conference "LNG in the US - The Present, The Potential" in Washington, D.C.
- June 3-6 - Dr. Foss presented at the 28th Annual IAEE International Conference "Globalization of Energy: Markets, Technology, and Sustainability" in Taipei.
- June 1 - Dr. Foss participated in joint meeting on LNG Access Issues and Supply Reliability organized by The California Resources Agency, in coordination with the California Energy Commission and the California Public Utilities Commission. The workshop was conducted to explore ways to maximize the potential economic benefits to consumers of any natural gas imported to California in the form of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and safeguard California's natural gas markets. Read meeting notice.
- May 26 - CEE team took part in the Joint workshop with Bureau of Economic Geology-University of Texas, Opportunities and Issues in Carbon Markets.
- May 9-20 - CEE held its annual international capacity-building program "New Era in Oil, Gas & Power Creation", with 18 delegates from 12 countries, including Angola, Bangladesh, Chile, Ghana, Honduras, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, United States and Venezuela.
- April 18 - The CEE publishes the first issue of its Energy Market Report. The report is a twice-monthly report on key indicators and issues in markets for oil, natural gas, coal, and power. The report will provide timely and concise information on the factors that drive energy markets. To view the report, visit Think Corner.
- April 14 - Dr. Foss served as the moderator for the panel on Global Energy Market Challenges and Ramifications for the Energy Bar Association's 59-th Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
- April 12-14 - Dr. Gülen took part in the The CWC Group Conference LNG New Orleans 2005, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- April 8 - Dr. Foss gave a presentation "LNG Safety and Security" at the Energy Council's Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)/ Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Workshop in Biloxi, Mississippi.
- March 30 – Dr. Foss attended a meeting with Dr. Amory B. Lovins, Cofounder and CEO of the Rocky Mountain Institute and co-author of Winning the Oil Endgame. Among the topics discussed were the role of the energy industry in fostering alternative energy sources and the efficiency of current energy consumption technologies and practices, and impact of policy choices.
- March 14-17 - Dr. Foss took part in Gastech 2005 - The 21st International Conference & Exhibition for the LNG, LPG & Natural Gas Industries (Bilbao, Spain).
- March 3 - Mr. Fisoye Delano took part in the ChevronTexaco Open House for the Casotte Liquefied Natural Gas Import Terminal Project, which was held Pascagoula, Mississippi.
- February 25 - The CEE held its monthly Think Day. This Think Day session focused on issues of oil and gas development in Alberta and featured presentations by students from the University of Alberta MBA program, specializing in Natural Resources and Energy. Download students' papers.
- February 21 - The CEE welcomed a group of students from the University of Alberta MBA program, specializing in Natural Resources and Energy. The group will spend a week in Houston, visiting companies and attending meetings on various subjects such as energy industry regulation in North America; energy trading and marketing; electricity restructuring in Texas, and other.
- February 18 - Dr. Foss made a presentation on LNG at the Millwright Annual Leadership Conference of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters.
- February 10-11 - Dr. Foss made a presentation "Status of Emerging LNG Receiving Options" at the Gas/Electric Partnership Workshop "Pipeline Configuration for Tomorrow's Gas Supplies."
- February 2 - Dr. Foss participated the LNG Community Awareness Workshop, organized by the Office of Pipeline Safety of the Department of Transportation's Research & Special Programs Administration (RSPA).
- January 28 - The CEE held its Think Day on U.S. electricity restructuring issues. Peter van Doren of Cato Institute discussed the controversial Cato piece "Rethinking Electricity Restructuring," by Peter Van Doren and Jerry Taylor, which was published in Policy Analysis in November 2004.
- January 27 - Mr. Fisoye Delano gave a presentation on the "State of the Natural Gas Industry" at the 5th Annual Conference "LNG: Economics & Technology," organized by the Strategic Research Institute.
- January 25 - Dr. Foss made a presentation on Natural Gas and LNG in China during the 2005 NAPE Expo International Forum Day - Energy Opportunities in China Today, organized by Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
- January 25 - The CEE hosted a delegation from the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs (Harvard University).
- January 24 - Mr. Fisoye Delano gave a presentation on the "Atlantic and Pacific Supply Basin Outlook" at the Dufour Energy Commodities' 2005 LNG Conference "The Growth for LNG in North America" in Calgary.
- January 17 - Dr. Foss chaired a session "Overcoming Barriers to Electricity Investment" at the workshop of the International Energy Agency "The Developing World and the Electricity Challenge" in Paris, France.
- January 9-12 - Mr. Fisoye Delano collaborated with the Department of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Engineering (PMRE) of the Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET) to conduct a workshop in Dhaka, Bangladesh on Oil, Gas & Power Value Creation. The workshop was developed and delivered as part of the CEE - BUET/PMRE partnership, funded by a grant from the Association Liaison Office for University Cooperation in Development.